How many admins to futureproof?

Alvin63

So having just has a fairly major health scare and hospitalized as an emergency (now recovered and back home) it occurred to me that if I popped my clogs suddenly the forum would fairly quickly go under as I'm the only admin. To futureproof it to continue as it is, assume I'd need at least one other admin to keep the software up to date, manage hosting etc - and post regularly. Except members lives change and they can come and go so it needs to be an admin who would stick around - or possibly two.

What do others do? My concern with too many admins is the forum/software getting broken - by someone tinkering whether accidentally or otherwise. Plus not knowing which members are likely to be long lasting ones.

I know that sounds bizarre - if you pop your clogs you're not around to care! But I've created something that's helping others and would like it to continue.

What do others do? My concern with too many admins is the forum/software getting broken - by someone tinkering whether accidentally or otherwise. Plus not knowing which members are likely to be long lasting ones.
That's my biggest concern too. But if I can raise my children, I will give them the forum...

If God gives life to them until they grow up, I think I will leave it to them. Until then, the forum will grow and become a giant. No posts can be changed on the forum and no one can delete posts, including the super moderator.

We have always had three admins, a legacy of having been spun up by a team of three at the beginning. I do most of the work since I am an IT professional in my day job, but one of the other current admins is a retired IT consultant so is more than capable of taking over in a pinch. Really, we probably just need one plus backup, but having three provides an extra cushion and the third, while not an IT geek like me, is comfortable with computers and has proven very adept at helping users, writing documentation, and that sort of thing.

Thanks. Are there different levels of admin you can set? I guess all I really need is someone who would know how to sign in as admin and do updates. Presumably they could just migrate to a server of their choice then - without needing the server login details?

I am on shared hosting with cPanel so they need, at minimum, access to that as well as admin access to Xenforo

Thanks. Are there different levels of admin you can set? I guess all I really need is someone who would know how to sign in as admin and do updates. Presumably they could just migrate to a server of their choice then - without needing the server login details?
You could do levels of admin. When you promote a user to admin, there's a set of rights you assign so you could create levels of admin access that way.

Remember you also need at least one person besides yourself able to login with superadmin rights since that's the only way to create new admins. We have just one superadmin and two of us know the password but you could also have multiple superadmins.

Thanks - could you point me to how to set up different levels of admin? Is it just under the usual permissions?

If I kick the bucket, husband will inherit my "empire", so probably everything that comes with this. Websites, hosting plans, invoices :D

If I kick the bucket, husband will inherit my "empire", so probably everything that comes with this. Websites, hosting plans, invoices :D
Lol. Yes my family would "inherit" it too but none of them are IT literate. Although actually they wouldn't inherit it if it was already shared admin and they were responsible for the bills then if they wanted to keep it going. I think. Just confused myself!

do you have a member or someone in your family?

Top Bottom