How long does the XenForo demo take before it is sent to my email?

lightspeed

Hi I just requested a demo about 15mins ago and I am still waiting for it. Any idea how long it takes?

(Must say I am extremely impressed with XenForo. This is the first time I have used it. After seeing the latest Vbulletin 5 I was horrified and had to start looking for another solution right away :D)

That has to be against TOS of the license.

You are opening your own test site to the general public via PM...
Why is this a bad thing?

The TOS is more about hypothetical situations like "A license holder treats his test install as a 2nd license" than practical ones like "a license holder lets potential customers access his test board so they don't have to deal with the broken demo boards."

I see letting potential customers experience the practical application of the product as a good thing.

A test version is simply that.....what does it matter who tests on it? As long as it isn't a fully functioning forum....it shouldn't be against ToS. I let my staff and a few select members on my testing board. When I test I need feedback from all levels. Just because something appears right doesn't necessarily mean it is right.

Demo isn't working. I currently have vbulletin and it has bugs and problems all the time. The backend admin area is OLD and clunky (not using the new beta 5) and I am sick of the payment registration options because it is so confusing. I am not finding enough information on Xenforo, and I can't even access the demo. Can someone help? I want to see if its better, or worth switching over from vbulletin.

Demo isn't working. I currently have vbulletin and it has bugs and problems all the time. The backend admin area is OLD and clunky (not using the new beta 5) and I am sick of the payment registration options because it is so confusing. I am not finding enough information on Xenforo, and I can't even access the demo. Can someone help? I want to see if its better, or worth switching over from vbulletin.

I'm happy to let you have a fiddle on my closed test forum.

What info are you after?

I'm happy to let you have a fiddle on my closed test forum.

What info are you after?

Thank you for offering. I want to see how it compares to vbulletin. The main things I'd like to see are how registration and payments work. (With vbulletin, the only option is to have the user register first, then they have to find their way into the settings panel to subscribe and checkout with paypal. Its confusing and unless I want to pay hundreds of dollars for a 3rd party software for membership then I'm stuck). Does it give payment options on the registration page? Also, I'd like to see the back end and how user friend it is. I am a total newb and dont know any code. Customizing is big for me since I dont have any help. I guess I could sit here and write a novel, but its mostly everything I am comparing.

Thank you for offering. I want to see how it compares to vbulletin. The main things I'd like to see are how registration and payments work. (With vbulletin, the only option is to have the user register first, then they have to find their way into the settings panel to subscribe and checkout with paypal. Its confusing and unless I want to pay hundreds of dollars for a 3rd party software for membership then I'm stuck). Does it give payment options on the registration page? Also, I'd like to see the back end and how user friend it is. I am a total newb and dont know any code. Customizing is big for me since I dont have any help. I guess I could sit here and write a novel, but its mostly everything I am comparing.

With regards to styling, styling xenforo is heads and shoulders above the other paid alternatives (light years ahead infact) when xf upgrades updating your styles couldn't be easier. Take for example, i have two heavily customised styles, so does a friend, and another friend. I can update all 4 sites in a matter of 10 minutes. So updating your styles through upgrades is effortless. The styling system/template system in xenforo is great to the point I wouldn't style any other forum software because it's that good.

Your other queries about payment upon registration, I know this isn't built into the core so you may need to request a coder to build such an add-on for you to do this. I'm not sure an add-on already exists so that part of your query I'll leave to somebody else to respond.

edit: And if you do encounter styling issues, or find yourself with an issue the community will help, the support from the community is excellent here and it's seldom a thread is empty for more than 5 minutes. Somebody will always post any customization/styling issues you may need help with.

With regards to styling, styling xenforo is heads and shoulders above the other paid alternatives (light years ahead infact) when xf upgrades updating your styles couldn't be easier. Take for example, i have two heavily customised styles, so does a friend, and another friend. I can update all 4 sites in a matter of 10 minutes. So updating your styles through upgrades is effortless. The styling system/template system in xenforo is great to the point I wouldn't style any other forum software because it's that good.

Your other querie about payment upon registration, I know this isn't built into the core so you may need to request a coder to build such an add-on for you to do this. I'm not sure an add-on already exists so that part of your query I'll leave to somebody else to respond.

Thank you Shelley, I appreciate you taking the time to help. Thats great news about the interface/styling. Sounds like it would be great for someone like me.

Does XF even have a subscription or paid option? I find it hard to believe they'd build a forum without the option to have paid memberships... if so, do you know how to enable that feature, or how it works?

Thank you Shelley, I appreciate you taking the time to help. Thats great news about the interface/styling. Sounds like it would be great for someone like me.

Does XF even have a subscription or paid option? I find it hard to believe they'd build a forum without the option to have paid memberships... if so, do you know how to enable that feature, or how it works?

They do have a built in subscription/paid option. If i read your post correctly about payment upon registration that is something that is not built in.

Shelley, you are correct I was referring to payment upon registration. I'm sorry misread your answer about payments. Hopefully someone might know something about paid registration as it is my biggest problem with Vbulletin. I have someone who has created an add-on for me and it will be available in a few days. Then my next problem will be design :p. I just can't win!
-Jessica

:) Tbh, payment upon registration is a feature I always wanted included into a core product, I never could understand why no software did include this in the core it would be such a valuable feature to have for those aiming at the business end of the spectrum.

With regards to design, there are plenty of great stylers here (forsaken, arty, audentio, john) and many others who offer support so any issues you may have you'll be taken care of.

:) Tbh, payment upon registration is a feature I always wanted included into a core product, I never could understand why no software did include this in the core it would be such a valuable feature to have for those aiming at the business end of the spectrum.

With regards to design, there are plenty of great stylers here (forsaken, arty, audentio, john) and many others who offer support so any issues you may have you'll be taken care of.

Great, thank you for your help! :) Now to get my hands on that demo ;) And sorry about deleting the other post, I was going to repost it quoting you so that you'd be notified.

I bought XenForo pretty much straight away after trying out Harry Fox's demo forum.

Xenforo allows you to come up with unique colour schemes really quickly. I just used trial and error to find out which color corresponds to which part on the forum. I never really played with the vbulletin colors because it was too confusing. (Also that VB4 auto color picker was an absolute joke.)

I bought XenForo pretty much straight away after trying out Harry Fox's demo forum.

Xenforo allows you to come up with unique colour schemes really quickly. I just used trial and error to find out which color corresponds to which part on the forum. I never really played with the vbulletin colors because it was too confusing. (Also that VB4 auto color picker was an absolute joke.)

FYI I posted this way back when XF first came out, is a bit out of date but still applicable in some areas.

Colour Palette Guide

FYI I posted this way back when XF first came out, is a bit out of date but still applicable in some areas.

Colour Palette Guide

Ah yes I was looking for something like this... I ended up going through and changing colours on the palette one by one to bright red and then took a screen shot of the colour changes in the different parts of the forum and compiled each one into Photoshop.

Also this post helped me nut out how to change the colours separately: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-change-almost-anything-quickly-and-easily.33239/

Ah yes I was looking for something like this... I ended up going through and changing colours on the palette one by one to bright red and then took a screen shot of the colour changes in the different parts of the forum and compiled each one into Photoshop ...

That's exactly how I did it too :D.

I think Naatan's Advanced User Upgrades can achieve what you want.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/advanced-user-upgrades.639/

Top Bottom