How high is your PageSpeed Insights score?

HSP

How high is your PageSpeed Insights score and what should be fixed?

My mobile score is 70/100

Code:
Should Fix:
Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content
Leverage browser caching

Consider Fixing:
Enable compression
Optimize images
Minify JavaScript
Minify HTML

Desktop score is 80/100

Code:
Should Fix:
Leverage browser caching

Consider Fixing:
Enable compression
Optimize images
Minify JavaScript
Reduce server response time
Minify HTML

--
My new score is: M: 74/100, D: 85/100
I wish i could get it above 90

Last edited:
EDIT: First things first, check the resources it's complaining about. Some of them are external ones like social media widgets, which you can't do anything about. Focus on the ones you host only.

Definitely enable compression for your webserver, if it isn't already. Try to optimize all the images you can (attachments you can't do anything about without an add-on). JavaScripts should already be minified, but it looks like 'xenforo.js' isn't minified using the Closure Compiler, so Google gets different results.

Minifying HTML isn't something to obsess over, and your server response time is more likely to be an issue with your host, unless your configurations (webserver, mysql, php) are bad. Using Cloudflare also increases response time.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSP
Sorry, I didn't intend that as a slight against you. I was just going through the list, I didn't even see you used that add-on until just now.

What I mean is, sometimes minifying the HTML consumes more server processing time/resources than your user saves on the other end.

EDIT: First things first, check the resources it's complaining about. Some of them are external ones like social media widgets, which you can't do anything about. Focus on the ones you host only.

Definitely enable compression for your webserver, if it isn't already. Try to optimize all the images you can (attachments you can't do anything about without an add-on). JavaScripts should already be minified, but it looks like 'xenforo.js' isn't minified using the Closure Compiler, so Google gets different results.

Minifying HTML isn't something to obsess over, and your server response time is more likely to be an issue with your host, unless your configurations (webserver, mysql, php) are bad. Using Cloudflare also increases response time.

No worries @Jeremy P

What advice can you give to me on "Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content":

Your page has 2 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.
None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.

css.php?css=xenforo,form,public&style=2&dir=LTR&d=1457819436
css.php?css=bb_code,facebook,login_bar,node_category,node_forum,node_list,profile_post_list_simple,sidebar_share_page,thread_list_simple,twitter&style=2&dir=LTR&d=1457819436

What advice can you give to me on "Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content":
What Google wants is for above-the-fold content (content you view without scrolling) to have inlined CSS. This is tricky to do, especially for dynamic sites. I am not aware of an add-on or anything that does this for XenForo, and I've not worried about it for my own site.

It will cap your score, I think I maxed out at 80/90 for mobile and desktop respectively (by not using social widgets since I can't control them and they don't get used on my site anyways).. but at that point it's not really worth worrying about I think. Your site is probably reasonably fast already.

No problem. If it's the site in your profile, just optimize the images in your style directory.. and configure your webserver to set expiry headers for somewhere between 1 week to 1 month for JavaScripts.

I'm doing terrible on my www.travelstories.gr site:

Homepage is 58/100 mobile and 68/100 desktop , and forums homepage is even worse, 55 and 64 :(

Fixes needed:

Enable compression
Leverage browser caching

Mine is 70/100 for mobile, and 84/100 for desktop.
The mobile score is good enough for me as most members browse the site from desktop, and since the forum caters to a very small group of people, "The Googler on a Hot Tin Roof" is not much use to us anyway, :)

My desktop is green (87) on long pages, but the mobile recently dropped into the high yellow range. It's giving me the following suggestions. Are any of them possible fix from our end?

Consider Fixing:
Leverage browser caching
Setting an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources instructs the browser to load previously downloaded resources from local disk rather than over the network.
Leverage browser caching for the following cacheable resources:

No, short of getting rid of Google Analytics/Adsense/Login
You actually shouldn't run page speed with those enabled. Google accounts for that... and people are confused about the scores already, thinking the higher the better the ranking. It is false logic and Google does not work that way.

The best thing you can do is create a site that passes the page speed usability score. The higher that score, the better. If your page is about 70 - 75 and above for speed, then all is good. You should be checking a thread page vs the homepage, as the content pages are everything for Google traffic... your homepage is nothing for ranking purposes of a forum.

People forget that this is only ONE aspect of hundreds that affect how Google ranks your page. Focus on the things you can improve, whilst never detracting from usability, especially your mobile usability score.

Top Bottom