1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How has your thread adapted with more social media discussion?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by leemy, Oct 13, 2014.

1. leemy

leemy Member

I launched my forum in 2008 when there was a real need for a community of people at different universities in the US and Canada to have a better discussion platform. By 2012, '13, and '14, though, a lot of this conversation has moved to Facebook and Twitter. That's good-- people are connecting a lot easier. But what is the role of a forum with these social media channels absorbing a lot of the communication?

How has your forum changed based on this? Beyond share buttons and credential integration. Curious to hear. On my side, traffic is down from its 2011 peak, but actual messages/posts are down a LOT. The nature of the conversation is different. Open to advice!
  2. ForestForTrees

ForestForTrees Well-Known Member

We have a Facebook page that we use to highlight featured threads (we don't use Brogan's addon, but perhaps once a thread is featured there, it could be shared if it is good enough). We don't find that the page brings us much traffic, though.

Eventually, I'd like to set up a Facebook group for "alumni" of our forum. Sometimes people are active on the forum but then become less active after, say 9 months. Since people will continue to check Facebook for a very long time, we can maintain a connection to them and retain their expertise within our community.

Terminology: a FB page is primarily unidirectional, allowing the owner to blast out updates to its fans but not giving a way for fans to post something which is shown on other fans' news feeds. A FB group is closer to a forum in that it allows bidirectional communication. We started with a page and want to set up a group for "alumni."

Regarding FB as a platform for building communities, the smartest community builder I know, Richard Millington, hates it:

Perhaps you can read those articles and think about how you can leverage your strengths as an independent site. Having complete control over your site opens doors that would never be available with a turnkey solution like FB.
  3. sbj

sbj Well-Known Member

This question reminded me of one of my answers to a similar question like this, so I want to quote myself: