How hard is it to change the domain name?

Gregory Lynn

My website is becoming more and more of a general discussion website every day. How hard would it be to do a domain name change with XenForo? What needs to be done?

Am I allowed to change the URL where my forum is installed?
You can change it at any time. Ensure you update your account details in the Customers area.

How can I move my installation to a different directory?
Update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information and move the files to the new directory. You may need to restart the server for the change to take effect.

How can I move my installation to a different host?
Backup the existing database and server files. Copy them to the new server and update the library/config.php file with the new database details. Lastly, update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information, if it has changed.
Note that if you are moving to a different type of web server and have Friendly URLs enabled, you will need to make the appropriate changes. Refer to the Friendly URLs section of the XenForo Help Manual for more details.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

Although a domain name change isn't explicitly mentioned, those excerpts from the FAQ cover moving directories and hosts (servers).

Remember that in order to maintain your Google ranking you'll have to keep your own domain hosted and 301 redirect all traffic to your new domain until the new URLs are indexed.

Top Bottom