How does the swear filter work?

subtato

Curious how the swear filter works.
Does it work like vBulletin does?
badword​
{specificwordonly}​
Is there some sort of new setup that makes it awesome?
Is there any way to add several words at once, or is it one-by-one? (e.g. is it a text box, or is it like IP.Board?)
Just looking to find out for a project to help people become lazy. :p

Personally, I would really like regex support. Someone posted earlier about how "s n i g g e r" got censored. Most cases like this could be avoided using a proper regex. :)

There are word replacements too. Typing K e i r changes it to Kier and so on. I hope it has a similar vB implementation so that I can filter only if that word appears on its own.

Regex sounds nice too.

Will the censor filter take into account people who are smart enough to apply formatting in the word to circumvent the swear filter? For example badword != badword ... badword would be filtered but the second would not due to the formatting in the word.

Will the censor filter take into account people who are smart enough to apply formatting in the word to circumvent the swear filter? For example badword != badword ... badword would be filtered but the second would not due to the formatting in the word.
No, that is, effectively, impossible. (Or at least stupendously complex.)

That's one of the reasons we do not - and never will - use a swear filter. It's really something that should be reserved for kids forums anyway. On an adult forum you just make rules and agreements with your members about this. If they break those rule after being warned a first time they should be sanctioned. It makes no sense to have a swear filter when you know it's not changing behavior. That's like having a red traffic light, but when someone is driving through it you just accept it and do nothing about it.

Top Bottom