How do you think forums have changed over the years?

Razasharp

Both from the prospective as an Admin, and as a user of other people's forums.

Do you think social networks influenced the path of forums? In what way?

I think forum popularity has gone down with the popularity of Social Media websites. I know of members who were once very active on forums are now doing the same thing on their Facebook timeline. They get to directly post to their friends and get complete control of their own posts. Imo Social Media has democratized the concept of forums. In-spite of all the negative impacts on traditional forums, I still see all of this only being good for all of us. Just that we need to work harder to keep the forums going. :)

I believe @Jeffin is correct. I their day BBSs were the social media that Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc have become today,

Personally, I don't use any of the social media.

I have thought about registering a Facebook account. But haven't the interest for much posting on it.

I also agree that forums still have their use. It's up to the operators to keep the posts interesting and relevant for members to keep coming back.

The cool kids who made Facebook popular have left and my prediction is that services like WhatsApp will steal all the Facebook's lunch, breakfast, dinner and underwear too. It's just a matter of time that people will get board of their spammy walls. Facebook is 99% photos; and mobiles offer a much quicker way of sharing photos. It'll take 2-3 more years though.

Discussions, however will continue to happen. Forums may not exist in the form we are used to. I seriously think platforms like xenforo have a chance to be a leader; by shedding the old 'forum avatar' - that's why I've requested features like changing the profile commenting system to more 'twitter' like. It won't make xenforo another social networking site; but it will allow easier reach among the people who are interested in the same topic as we are: which is where forums have a lead.

I still trust forums for troubleshooting; getting advice and seeking knowledge. I haven't been a Facebook fan myself - but it's so far been an entertainment machine. You gotta keep uploading photos to collect likes; and keep making your life look 10x better than it actually is. People will discover other 'cooler' platforms to do that.

Talking about twitter - it's going to have a longer life than Facebook - because of its potential to break news. I think Twitter will be bought over by the likes of WhatsApp and Viber in near future; if they keep existing independently and investors show them some love.

So, what about forums?

This post itself is an example. I'm writing this because this post will be read by people who're just as much interested in running / managing online communities as I am. Some of you will agree with me and some won't. You may just 'like' it or ignore it. But the whole point is - my thoughts have been conveyed to people who are in the same framework of mind as I am. I learn from you and I hope someone learns from you - and that keeps things alive.

We all tend to be with people who believe in what we believe. I'm active here because I think you all are like me. That's the thing that makes me keep coming back to xenforo official forums for help, for advice (and some of you are kick-assingly awesome!) and just keep myself informed. I'm certainly not writing this post to collect likes. It doesn't bother me if no one 'likes' this post. I am writing this post because someone will read this post and add more meaningful reply - which will benefit me and everyone else.

PS: After writing all of the above, I think I went off the track. Forums will exist - as long as they are topic based. It's going to be hard for social networks to beat them.

Forums haven't changed much over the years. Threads are terrible vehicles for content. vB5 is IB's vision of the future (ouch). Communities need to be able to create their own content - as a community.

I think forum popularity has gone down with the popularity of Social Media websites. I know of members who were once very active on forums are now doing the same thing on their Facebook timeline. They get to directly post to their friends and get complete control of their own posts. Imo Social Media has democratized the concept of forums. In-spite of all the negative impacts on traditional forums, I still see all of this only being good for all of us. Just that we need to work harder to keep the forums going. :)

Yup yup but small things like this :

Thank you, I'll get my profile more up to date within the next few days. I've been watching feed on my facebook and there really are some great posts. Appreciate the welcome.

Keeps me going . I mean there are so many private groups /pages which are busy all day in facebook but if you can focus in bringing original content those users are looking for it sure can change the whole environment.

Top Bottom