1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do phrase conflicts get handled?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Jaxel, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

Right now there are no phrases for "Month", "Hour", or "Minute" in XenForo...

Lets say I add the phrases in one of my mods... then later down the line, XenForo officially gets the phrases... What happens? What happens when you upgrade to the new version of XenForo which has the new phrase? What happens when someone installs my mod, and tries to overwrite the existing phrase?

2. James

James Well-Known Member

You could avoid conflictions at all and prefix your phrases with your add-on initials:
    {xen:phrase ewr_month}

But then again, good question ;)

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Although this doesn't specifically mention phrases, I guess the same guidelines apply.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/add-on-id-guidelines.6394/

I personally prefix all of my custom templates, phrases and css with my site initials followed by an underscore: cta_

I have no idea what would happen in the case of a conflict though.
    Only one way to find out I guess...

4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Last one in wins.

In theory, it can be an issue if an add-on causes a conflict and is then uninstalled, but in practice, a) it should be rare, and b) if it's added by XF, reimporting the master data would fix it.

Brogan likes this.
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

:ROFLMAO:

Like it.
    Simple and to the point.

6. James

James Well-Known Member

Last one in wins... so XenForo will always win.
    You can't create a phrase if the phrase already exists as it'll throw an error (I think? :confused:) and if the add-on utilises a phrase that XenForo introduces into its core, it'll overwrite the add-on phrase?