How do I stop these attacks?

Also ask for the stats from the server, awstats or whatever you cool kids use.

If you post your bandwidth stats I'll post mine....

First install the TPU Spam add-on and block the country's before you re-open your site.

Thanks. I'll let the host know I need access to the site and cpanel to do that. I still don't know how they get in when the site is closed.

Last edited:
Your host should be able to do it for you easily.

Why would he not? If it's serious it would prove his point.

We could be here thinking oh just a few spam bots, without stats it's speculative.

Edit - yes to install stuff you need full access

Last edited:
How much transfer is included with your account? That's not a crazy amount you are pulling there by any means.

Disk Space Usage 277.93 MB / 500 MB
Monthly Bandwidth Transfer 20.86 GB / 21 GB

The site is in development, it's not open to members yet. That's why I thought it's pretty crazy that they want to upgrade my bandwidth when nobody but spammers showed up a couple of days.

Last edited:
The site is in development, it's not open to members yet. That's why I thought it's pretty crazy that they want to upgrade my bandwidth when nobody but spammers showed up a couple of days.
But that's not their issue. You have X amount of bandwidth and your site utilized an amount approaching the max. From what I see from the info you provided, they were being pro-active about it. Not to be argumentative, but the issue was that you did not secure your site to prevent the use by said spammers (even though they are human) when there are add-ons that will alleviate quite a bit of that.
There are plenty of bots out there that look for unsecured sites like what you had set up, even though they may not be "public". If you are allowing registrations and not using any preventative measures you will get slammed.
And honestly, depending on the site, 21GB isn't that much bandwidth. If you use a graphics for a background image, that will add up quick.

Disk Space Usage 277.93 MB / 500 MB
Monthly Bandwidth Transfer 20.86 GB / 21 GB

The bandwidth is definitely being used, according to the chart. I don't know what the hell the bots could be accessing though, if it's a closed site. Just pulling the logo or something? I don't know. Very weird.

But that's not their issue. You have X amount of bandwidth and your site utilized an amount approaching the max. From what I see from the info you provided, they were being pro-active about it. Not to be argumentative, but the issue was that you did not secure your site to prevent the use by said spammers (even though they are human) when there are add-ons that will alleviate quite a bit of that.
There are plenty of bots out there that look for unsecured sites like what you had set up, even though they may not be "public". If you are allowing registrations and not using any preventative measures you will get slammed.
And honestly, depending on the site, 21GB isn't that much bandwidth. If you use a graphics for a background image, that will add up quick.

I had another site running on the same server for 5 years and never had a single incident. So yes, I was unprepared for this. I just didn't know. Now I do.

I will up my bandwidth as needed when I go public.

The bandwidth is definitely being used, according to the chart. I don't know what the hell the bots could be accessing though, if it's a closed site. Just pulling the logo or something? I don't know. Very weird.

That's what I don't understand. Plus, why me, and why the test forum?

Top Bottom