How do I know my Xenforo is legally obtained?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernhardalber

Hi,

so I bought Xenforo from someone on Telegram. He told me he bought it. Installation worked great but it never asked me for any License Key on Installation. How do I know if he legally obtained the Program?
Is there a License Check if you download directly from here?

It doesn't sound legitimate to me.

When you two have agreed on the purchase, while the license is valid and can be transferred (all licenses can only be transferred once), the seller/license holder submits a ticket with Xenforo support to transfer the license from their account to yours. Your own customer account would be created by Xenforo support, and is used to login here: https://xenforo.com/customers/

It doesn't sound like this process was ever done, so you don't own any license at all. There's no 'key' to obtain, the license is binded to your Xenforo account.

Either they still hold the license, or you given a pirated copy of Xenforo, either way, scammed unfortunately.

It doesn't sound legitimate to me.

When you two have agreed on the purchase, while the license is valid and can be transferred (all licenses can only be transferred once), the seller/license holder submits a ticket with Xenforo support to transfer the license from their account to yours. Your own customer account would be created by Xenforo support, and is used to login here: https://xenforo.com/customers/

It doesn't sound like this process was ever done, so you don't own any license at all. There's no 'key' to obtain, the license is binded to your Xenforo account.

Either they still hold the license, or you given a pirated copy of Xenforo, either way, scammed unfortunately.
Can I buy a License and still keep on using the Script i bought or do I have to do any changes after buying the License?

Can I buy a License and still keep on using the Script i bought or do I have to do any changes after buying the License?

After acquiring a new license, download the version that you need, and replace all the core files. That's what I've read, you can open a Xenforo support ticket after you've acquired a license for support. Ask the Xenforo team all the questions.

They will definitely help you resolve this without affecting your board

You can buy the license and then download the same version you "bought".
He should have provided you with a token key that you could check to validate the transferability of that license. As @Dragonfruit said, the normal transfer process is the previous license holder contacts staff at XF with the their information, the license they are wanting to transfer and your email. Then you would have set up an account here associated with that email that was provided to them as a license holder.
You can replace all the core files of the one you downloaded, but I'd still be worried that there might be data there that may not be "part & parcel" of the package.

I think you can move your current XF install to a new directory, copy your current config data to a safe place so you have the DB name and password data, set up a new XF install with a fresh database and then import the old site into a new site. After purchasing the license, I'm sure you could enter a ticket and XF staff will help you work through it.

Last edited:
It can be transferred more than once.

I'm just going by what I've always seen here, which is this:

I have already responded to your ticket about this multiple times.

Licenses can only be transferred once so it must not have been transferred previously.

The owner of the license will need to renew it and then contact us to arrange a transfer.

The process must be initiated by the license holder - we will not transfer a license unless the request comes from them via their customer account.

If you did not purchase it from us or it was not transferred to you by us then you are using XF unlicensed.

If you want to convert to a licensed installation, purchase a license and submit a ticket and we will explain how you can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom