How Do I Import Another Xenforo Forum Into an Existing One?

DRE

I have no time to work on my first xenforo website www.BlackGamer.net so I would like to move everyone and their threads over to my other xenforo website www.The8thLegion.com How do I do this? I do not see a export option in Tools. I only see Import. My first site, The 8th Legion was originally a vBulletin site so I was going to import everyone to a vbulletin installation on a The8thLegion subdomain then import them to the8thlegion xenforo root. I learned later that there is no xenforo to vbulletin convertor. So does there one exist for free forum programs like myBB? or is there a way I can transfer over my blackgamer forum members and threads over to the8thlegion?

If I back up members passwords in phpadmin, create their accounts, repost their old threads, change author and thread and posts creation date with XenFans Thread Tools mod then change the thread views count in phpadmin then i wouldnt need an importer since there are only 100 something messages.

Is there a policy reason for not having a XenForo to XenForo importer? I'd have thought that would be a default option for a forum system as advanced as this one and a far more pressing concern than things like a resource manager, etc

a far more pressing concern than things like a resource manager, etc
Therein lies the problem.

Others consider the Resource Manager, thread prefixes, user group promotions, warnings, etc. to be more important than a direct XenForo importer.

Based on the relatively few times a direct XenForo importer has been requested, I would be inclined to agree.

It's simply a case of prioritising the most wanted features.

Therein lies the problem.

Others consider the Resource Manager, thread prefixes, user group promotions, warnings, etc. to be more important than a direct XenForo importer.

Based on the relatively few times a direct XenForo importer has been requested, I would be inclined to agree.

It's simply a case of prioritising the most wanted features.

Add-ons will always be more popular than standard features.

vbulletin does have a XenForo importer

you have 2 popular choices

import using vb or ipb as the middle man

I recently imported my xf to my other xf install using vbulletin 4 as the middle man.

So a xf > vb4 > xf import requires the passwords of the newly imported/merged users to be reset?
I believe that passes need set regardless if you use ipb or vb as the middle man?
We have another thread that's more in-depth, I'll see if I can find it. (here is my xf to xf thread but still not the one I'm thinking of)
Weird that vB hasn't released it; you'd think that they would be wanting converts back into the fold.

Thanks for the link; as I shutter some sites I'll be trying to consolidate the content somewhere.
Wierd or anoying.
It's always good to have options :)

Did you have any issues with using vb4 as the middleman? How did you setup your redirects from the old to the new xf?
I kind of went the lazy way around it, just redirected everything over from sitea.com/ to the siteb.com/
so sitea.com/t1/ my or may not of matched up to siteb.com/t1/ but I was okay with that route, it worked itself out on google pretty quick and all new post were reindexed under siteb.com.

I kind of went the lazy way around it, just redirected everything over from sitea.com/ to the siteb.com/
so sitea.com/t1/ my or may not of matched up to siteb.com/t1/ but I was okay with that route, it worked itself out on google pretty quick and all new post were reindexed under siteb.com.
Is there a big SEO advantage to redirect all the urls from the old forum to the new one, instead of letting Google just recrawl my site?

If the old forum is overrun with spam would Google penalize that site/domain? And if I were to 301 redirect all the non spam threads (I plan on cleaning that site up before transferring it) to my site, could that cause any adverse effects on my site?

Top Bottom