how do I hard delete a post/thread?

Jo.

I can't seem to find an option to hard delete (I'm pretty sure the permissions are set right). I can soft delete but I can't find where to hard delete, so there's no deletion message left.

ahh I think I know what the problem was... I had primary usergroup as admin, but secondary as moderator and we don't allow mods to hard delete. I assumed that if you've got admin as primary, those permissions would be override any of the secondary usergroups?

Did you have the moderator hard delete set to Deny?

That's the only time an allow will be overridden (except for node permissions).

Deny will override everything and shouldn't normally be used.

Just set it to default which is the same as no.

Permissions are cumulative so being in 2 groups, 1 with it set to default and the other set to allow will allow the permission overall.

okay - thanks for explaining, and for your help - much appreciated!

One final question though - how do you know what 'default' gives permission to - is it dependent on what usergroup that usergroup is created from as a base or something?

Well default just means no or not set and as I said earlier, the permissions are cumulative.

So if the registered user group has "Delete thread by self" set to default then it means they don't have the permission to do that.
If they are then added to another group which has "Delete thread by self" set to allow then they will be able to.

See this thread by Jake which may help to explain it more: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/understanding-permissions.5830/

Top Bottom