How do I add a 'welcome header' to guests?

I could have sworn there was a guide posted for this but I can't find it.

Edit this template:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> PAGE_CONTAINER

Add this code:

Code:
						<xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id}">
						<div class="importantMessage" style="text-align: left; padding: 10px;">
							YOUR GUEST MESSAGE HERE
						</div>
						</xen:if>

...as shown below:

Code:
							</p>

<xen:if is="{$isAwaitingEmailConfirmation}">
							<p class="importantMessage">
								{xen:phrase your_account_is_currently_awaiting_confirmation_confirmation_sent_to_x, 'email={$visitor.email}'}<br />
								<a href="{xen:link account-confirmation/resend}" class="OverlayTrigger">{xen:phrase resend_confirmation_email}</a>
							</p>

<xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id}">
						<div class="importantMessage" style="text-align: left; padding: 10px;">
							YOUR GUEST MESSAGE HERE
						</div>

<!-- top breadcrumb, top ctrl -->
						<div class="breadBoxTop">
							<xen:if is="{$topctrl}"><div class="topCtrl">{xen:raw $topctrl}</div></xen:if>
							<xen:include template="breadcrumb"><xen:set var="$microdata">1</xen:set></xen:include>
						</div>

<xen:if is="!{$noH1}">						
							<!-- h1 title, description -->
							<div class="titleBar">

has someone done the same setup from vbulletin like this mod: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99579
Beyond just the "welcome" for guest, it has messages for inactive users and so on. Can this be implemented in some way?

Welcome headers - Improve community registration rates

Step One: Turning lurkers into Members
For most websites, upwards of 50% of traffic (or more) comes through search engines or deep links to threads, profiles and categories. Out of the box, vBulletin only displays a welcome message on the forum-homepage, meaning someone who enters through any other page does not have the benefit of seeing an explanation of the site or welcome message. The guest welcome header is used to explain the purpose of your site, sell users on the benefits of joining the community and push them to proactively register.

Step Two: Making Users Confirm their Account
Many vBulletin sites require email confirmation prior to being able to post or access an account. However, activation emails are often misdirected to spam folders, ignored or simply deleted, leaving unconfirmed users with little access rights and no explanation as to what is wrong with their account. The unconfirmed welcome header is used to inform unconfirmed members of their account status and to direct them to automatically resend their activation email, or to contact the webmaster for support.

Step Three: Get non-posting users to post
Another chronic problem faced by many forums is insuring users post after registering. Many new visitors register in order to access certain features with the intent of posting, but never do so. The never posted welcome header is used to encourage users to post for their first time and should ideally be linked directly to an introductions or new member forum to help users "break the ice".

Step Four: Getting inactive users to become more active
Many members start out as lurkers, register, post once or twice and then go back to being lurkers. Often time these members are not actively thinking about participating in topics or are still shy about interacting. The inactivity welcome header reminds members to make a post after a predetermined amount of time as specified by the forum administrator.

Step Five: General Announcements
Unfortunately the standard announcements are often overlooked or never even seen by members who use the "new posts feature". As a result, urgent notices may be missed by users causing problems and high volumes of support requests. The global announcement welcome header creates a message shown to all members who do not fall into the other welcome header groups (guest, unconfirmed, never posted, inactive). Whether it be a scheduled outage/ upgrade, an important request or the need to display an advertisement in a prominent spot, global announcements allow an administrator to effectively and quickly display messages in a way that is certain to be read.

XenForo pretty much has all of this.

Step 1: Notices - You can display a notice to a guest. This is visible on every single page.

Step 2: XenForo displays a notice automatically when their account is awaiting confirmation. It tells them they haven't yet confirmed their e-mail and also clearly displays the e-mail address the confirmation was sent to with options to resend. This is a phrase I think so it can be easily customised.

Step 3: Notices- Again, you can display a notice targeted to members with zero posts. Visible on all pages.

Step 4: Notices - this one is probably the only one that isn't "out of the box". You can create a notice when the user hasn't logged in for X days or has made no more than X posts. This could be a good way of telling people who don't visit very often they should post.

Step 5: This is basically what the Notices system is. vBulletin had announcements. XenForo has Notices. Any important announcements can be set up using the Notices system. Planned outages, news, announcements.

In addition to everything mentioned you can target notices based on date, other user criteria, the page they're on etc.

There's a Step 6!

All of this can be done also with my Notifications add-on. It uses exactly the same criteria. Notices can still be used. But in addition you can have Notifications which are little pop up balloons. They have different display options and colours as well.

Step 4 is the big one for me. I'm seeing trends where a large percentage of the users visiting the site daily are not posting. A huge volume of people are logging in each day, but then not posting replies or new threads. They're just "reading" the new material and leaving without posting.

The vb version would give coined messages like, Hey ____, you haven't posted in X days, why not start a thread or post in this forum or that forum.

That is my issue.

The vb version would give coined messages like, Hey ____, you haven't posted in X days, why not start a thread or post in this forum or that forum.

There is post count criteria when creating a notice. It uses total posts for the user though, not "posted since" like you want.

I've noticed that was a good option to have in the VB system and I'm missing it. It's handy criteria to set the notice up with. After 30 days one message, 31 - 60 another, 61 - 99 or whatever have something that includes contact information with regards to sorting any website issues or forum member related issues that might need addressing or whatever.

Was a neat way to get quite personal.

The content of PAGE_CONTAINER will be different now, but the code you add is the same.

Would I be correct in assuming it goes here then :

CODE HERE

<xen:hook name="page_container_breadcrumb_top">
<div class="breadBoxTop {xen:if $topctrl, withTopCtrl}">
<xen:include template="breadcrumb"><xen:set var="$microdata">1</xen:set></xen:include>
</div>
</xen:hook>

Would I be correct in assuming it goes here then :

CODE HERE

<xen:hook name="page_container_breadcrumb_top">
<div class="breadBoxTop {xen:if $topctrl, withTopCtrl}">
</div>
</xen:hook>

After that code should work well.

Top Bottom