1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 How do I add a link to my navigation bar?

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by Grimmjow, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Formerly Jadster

I wanted to add a new button with a link to a page on my navigation bar but I am unsure of how to do that? Any tips on how i can do this?

2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Edit the navigation template and add it there.

3. Grimmjow

I have looked at that but I don't know what to add and where I need to add it. Such as what code.

4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Look at how it's set up and copy and paste one of the links. Then just adjust it accordingly for the landing page you want.

As an example:

upload_2014-11-4_13-12-1.png

5. Grimmjow

Yeah I have no idea on how I can do that. I just feel like i am going to break the board and the template will break since I don't know the code.

6. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

It's easy, and if you do break something, it's just a matter of reverting the template and trying again.

7. Grimmjow

Like I said, this is a new coding language and I have no idea where i have to start.

8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

9. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Probably best that you read up on some CSS and HTML then before attempting this. I suggest you sign up to Codecademy (it's free) and make a start with the tutorials there.

http://www.codecademy.com/

10. Grimmjow

I have been with CodeCademy for a while. I have completed HTML & CSS and I am working with Javascript at the moment. I have also used W3Schools before. I used HTML to create the page content that I wanted.

11. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Then adding a link shouldn't be a problem. As you can see from @Maru's screenshot, it's just HTML with a bit of Xen syntax. As he said, just copy an existing link and edit it to suit using straight HTML if necessary until you have learned a bit more about Xen syntax (search the site, I'm sure there's stuff around about this).

Alternatively, take a look at Nodes As Tabs.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/nodes-as-tabs.9/