How did you minimize your mysql server memory consumption?

From what I've read on various sites, if you orders have to go to manual varification, it does take around 1 week regardless of which brand at OVH you use.

Do you? Really? Perhaps a US host and a CDN service that has POPs throughout Europe (I can recommend CDN77) would be even better?
Yes. Don't forget, upload speeds come into play as well, especially for image heavy forums.

I called and emailed, no hope. By email, the don't answer at all (once a week, on Fridays), and by phone it's always the same respond "your payment is in its final manual check, you should receive an email soon". I understood this respond on the first time, but when I pay the 2nd and 3rd time with the same payment method and they put my orders on hold for a week+, that's unacceptable.
From my understanding, SYS is the middle in terms of support/features (panel/specs). OVH is the highest (and most expensive). But I don't really need a server with 64GB RAM and a middle-high end CPU. Anyway, for now I'm quite looking for alternatives, it wasted me too much time.
I agree, is not normal. It is too bad, as OVH have amazing prices for the hardware they offer.
The most attractive part for me to OVH is the ability to "hack" your way into their network and do a clean KVM style install for your box. Therefore, you can do a really clean server setup which very few companies offer you. I'm very picky with my servers so I need this feature, which normally a provider will charge you extra.

I agree, is not normal. It is too bad, as OVH have amazing prices for the hardware they offer.
The most attractive part for me to OVH is the ability to "hack" your way into their network and do a clean KVM style install for your box. Therefore, you can do a really clean server setup which very few companies offer you. I'm very picky with my servers so I need this feature, which normally a provider will charge you extra.
I can rent the same server in Netherlands (and install a minimal CentOS 6.5), but with 16GB RAM instead of 32GB although the one in Netherlands has twice the disk space (240GB X2 SSD vs 120GBX2 at OVH/SYS). The "problem" is that the cost of the server is twice more (about $190/month, while SYS was $90 (with IPs)). OVH also had hard raid, the one in Netherlands has soft raid only (although it doesn't really matter if you run only 1-2 nodes).
I guess I will get a dedicated when my server would go over 8GB RAM consumption. Currently I'm at 6.5GB and still surviving (although it goes up by 50-80MB every month due to traffic/more forum activity and therefore more SQL caching).

Maybe the service on Canada datacenter is better because they are very new so the volume is low?
Anyways, it too bad that you cannot get the their prices. They have indeed great deals.

They must not like your account or where you are registered from @Moshe1010

I've just ordered 2 failover IP's and it's taken less than 2 minutes to have them both allocated from placing the order.

OVH also had hard raid, the one in Netherlands has soft raid only (although it doesn't really matter if you run only 1-2 nodes).
Not sure, but their "hard raid" could actually only be software.... if it one of the built in RAID cards that some servers come with - unless it has changed, the onboard BIOS RAID solutions are actually a software raid solution and can cause more problems than the true software RAID solution (they become dependent upon that motherboard RAID solution).

Maybe the service on Canada datacenter is better because they are very new so the volume is low?
Anyways, it too bad that you cannot get the their prices. They have indeed great deals.
According to the web page there is up to a 72 hour wait at the Canada site and 120 seconds at the France site for processing the specific server he was looking at (current at time of this post).

They must not like your account or where you are registered from @Moshe1010

I've just ordered 2 failover IP's and it's taken less than 2 minutes to have them both allocated from placing the order.
Ordered a 3rd, and that was pretty much instant as well.

I'm still waiting for my refund by the way. I asked explicitly to refund me for the IPs and the server. Then they replied that they canceled the IPs order, and if I would like to cancel the server as well. It's either they hire stupid people, or they just like to torture Americans since they don't pay VAT (or because French people hate us? :)).

Pure joke:
Service Commercial SoYouStart
5:25 AM (6 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hello,
I have refunded the two server payments for you. Please note refunds can take up to twenty working days to complete.
cleardot.gif

Kind regards,

Tom
SoYouStart.ie

20 days for a refund. In a third country maybe yeah. I guess it's specific to the Ireland customer service. They are answering emails/inquires only twice a week and are very slow at every single task they try to do. But this is the only option for people in the US to purchase European servers from OVH - through ovh.ie (or soyoustart.ie). I guess Canada and UK are way better, but I can't purchase a server in Canada since it's too far, and you need a valid address and phone number in the UK to purchase from ovh.uk
Anyway, I will hold down until I will really need to upgrade to a dedicated.

Kind of funny company. They approve manually my payment method (PayPal) for the last 5 days.
They don't answer emails/contact-us support through the SYS website, and it's impossible to register to their forum (it says registration is not allowed from the US).
When I ordered it said that my server would be ready in 72 hours, but now it changed to 10 days.
That's not a really good start (if any). I guess my mistake was paying with PayPal.
I just ordered this plan - http://www.soyoustart.com/us/offers/sys-e32-2.xml
  1. Sent my Identifications
  2. Then after 1 hour, they activate my order
  3. Right now, I'm playing with the server already :)

Top Bottom