How did you minimize your mysql server memory consumption?

Kind of funny company. They approve manually my payment method (PayPal) for the last 5 days.
They don't answer emails/contact-us support through the SYS website, and it's impossible to register to their forum (it says registration is not allowed from the US).
When I ordered it said that my server would be ready in 72 hours, but now it changed to 10 days.
That's not a really good start (if any). I guess my mistake was paying with PayPal.

Kind of funny company. They approve manually my payment method (PayPal) for the last 5 days.
They don't answer emails/contact-us support through the SYS website, and it's impossible to register to their forum (it says registration is not allowed from the US).
When I ordered it said that my server would be ready in 72 hours, but now it changed to 10 days.
That's not a really good start (if any). I guess my mistake was paying with PayPal.
Mine was showing the same. Order went from 72 hours to 10 days to no stock and then back to 10 days. Took 48 hours to get the server.

Support is 9am to 5pm CET Monday to Friday.

Mine was showing the same. Order went from 72 hours to 10 days to no stock and then back to 10 days. Took 48 hours to get the server.

Support is 9am to 5pm CET Monday to Friday.
I ordered Friday, still says "We check your payment manually" with a spinning wheel.

You can get 5 failover IP's, I'm not 100% sure on how they let it work though:
http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/ip_failover.xml

Just use a 3rd party for your DNS (such as DNSMadeEasy.....I've been with them 5 years now).
Wouldn't this be better/same?
http://cpanel.net/cpanel-whm/the-cpanel-service-distribution/dns-only/

Congrats (y)
I follow next month :)
If you ask me, I guess it would take a month to receive the server. As it looks now, they don't answer my emails/inquires, and my payment is still in a manual approve process. I'm just wondering if this is the way to go, and if all the terrible things that people say about OVH are true (lack of support).

If you ask me, I guess it would take a month to receive the server. As it looks now, they don't answer my emails/inquires, and my payment is still in a manual approve process. I'm just wondering if this is the way to go, and if all the terrible things that people say about OVH are true (lack of support).
I paid by credit card, and it went straight though. I phoned their support team on the UK number they have listed, and they answered. They raised a query, which was answered during support hours. I don't need server support, as long as they respond to hardware issues, which is why I chose them.

Can you recommend any other providers that have dedicated servers in Europe?
How's Hetzner?
no idea for Europe, but if you can compromise then New York / New Jersey or East coast USA would be where I'd be looking as it's practically the same timezone as Montreal, Canada if your original choice was OVH CA. But really depends on your audience (check your Google Analytics's country break down of visitors)

no idea for Europe, but if you can compromise then New York / New Jersey or East coast USA would be where I'd be looking as it's practically the same timezone as Montreal, Canada if your original choice was OVH CA. But really depends on your audience (check your Google Analytics's country break down of visitors)
I need Europe. My choice was OVH France.

Last edited:
I paid by credit card, and it went straight though. I phoned their support team on the UK number they have listed, and they answered. They raised a query, which was answered during support hours. I don't need server support, as long as they respond to hardware issues, which is why I chose them.
Yeah, I will call today. I really don't care for support as well since I have my own sys admin.

Just called, "All of our representative are currently busy, please call back later" then they hung up (this was the UK number). The Ireland number, after trying to understand the other side's accent, she told me she can't help me and that it's in the final stage of approval.

Yeah, OVH sucks I guess.

They are pretty quick with my email query/support.
We have a very long conversion just yesterday.

And I'm using a dedicated server with them since december without any problem.

I can recommend Leaseweb, they have good network and ok support. They are more expensive, but if you contact them via email, they sometimes give you lower prices than those presented on their site. I don't remember exact numbers, but I remember when we moved 2 servers from SL to them, we got something like 25 or 30 % discount in comparison on the prices on their website.

Hetzer => prices are cool, network is more/less ok, if you have your own sys-admin and you are not often DDoS-ed they can be solid choise.

You can buy the 5 extra IP addresses.
That is what I miss from the old OVH plans. They used to give your a total of 4 free IP's so that is an extra $10/month you have to pay. On the other hand, you 3 times more memory for the same price. For myself OVH is a great provider, I never had an issue with them in 2 years (Canada data center). I run a totally stripped setup, not the one they offer by default with their custom kernel.

I ordered 2 new IPv4 addresses. Not sure why does it take 3+ days to deliver them. Overall experience so far with SYS = Bad. It took 1 week to verify my payment and another 6 days to deliver the server. Now it's been 3 days to receive 2 more IP addresses.

Requested cancelation from crappy OVH/SYS. If waiting 4+ (business) days for 2 IP addresses is "normal" for them, then I don't even want to think about their support. People were right, the suck big time - and yes, you get what you pay for.
I will stay with my VPS for now, although I already consume 6GB of RAM, which makes it not that economical for a VPS.

Something is not right... maybe is the new website?
On the ovh.com (Canada Datacenter) site, it took me 1 hour to have a server setup with all the extra IP's implemented. I did this for 3 servers, did you called them over the phone? I had an issue with one server and they address it quickly.

Something is not right... maybe is the new website?
On the ovh.com (Canada Datacenter) site, it took me 1 hour to have a server setup with all the extra IP's implemented. I did this for 3 servers, did you called them over the phone? I had an issue with one server and they address it quickly.
I called and emailed, no hope. By email, the don't answer at all (once a week, on Fridays), and by phone it's always the same respond "your payment is in its final manual check, you should receive an email soon". I understood this respond on the first time, but when I pay the 2nd and 3rd time with the same payment method and they put my orders on hold for a week+, that's unacceptable.
From my understanding, SYS is the middle in terms of support/features (panel/specs). OVH is the highest (and most expensive). But I don't really need a server with 64GB RAM and a middle-high end CPU. Anyway, for now I'm quite looking for alternatives, it wasted me too much time.

Top Bottom