1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you get your members?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by talk2d, Apr 13, 2013.

1. talk2d

talk2d New Member

Hi, I have started a live board but getting members now is what i'm thinking all about. I have started posting though.

what kind of post will attract ppl, how long should it be?

How did you get your board/forum streaming in real members???

Or how can i?

Thank you.
  2. Wuebit

Wuebit Well-Known Member

Long very very long! (unless you are super mega lucky)
  3. =MGN=RedEagle

=MGN=RedEagle Well-Known Member

From Facebook :) (Only one to ever say that).
  4. =MGN=RedEagle

Make friends and relocate them to your site.
  5. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Our site's closed so we made a new site. People need another place to go.
  6. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

p0rn :p

/just kidding

It would be glad if you introduce your forum to some people who share same interest. :)

Example, if your forum main topic is about movie, then introduce your forum to your movie-mania friends.
  7. 0xym0r0n

0xym0r0n Well-Known Member

Word of mouth on video games XD

8. =MGN=RedEagle

I like to do marketing that brings people to my site by them clicking links.
    Go to forums, tell people who you are and you vision and get them behind what you are doing.
  9. Teapot

Teapot Well-Known Member

We have a custom application that's nearly unique in our particular community/fandom. There are others like it, but they're all rubbish :D We get the banners that application produces on 4chan, Reddit, and Facebook quite a lot, and they tend to have a link back.

The problem there, of course, is converting people who use that application into members of the rest of the site. I'm hoping XenForo (and my custom code) helps with that.
  10. Keith Myers

Keith Myers New Member

Normally by kidnapping the members first born kid and leaving a message in the ransom note to join our forum. Just Kidding.

In my case, it is a Forum that I took over from another person a few weeks ago. There was a small group of members that came with the deal and I am currently working on building the user base. Unfortunately as the niche of the forum is in a fairly densely populated area, it is not easy to build a membership pool. The niche is Web Hosting and Webmaster Discussions.

The last few members came from my annual April Fools Day Joke - http://ServerMeadows.com (Server burrial and cremation services) in which WebHostingChatter.com was featured on a few pages.
    Tracy Perry and 0xym0r0n like this.