1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 How can I set a cron to run every 5 min?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by =MGN=RedEagle, Dec 17, 2013.

1. =MGN=RedEagle

=MGN=RedEagle Well-Known Member

How can I set a XF cron to run every 5 min? Is that a bad idea?
  2. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

It's okay, but your stats won't update until that 5 minutes have been "clicked."
  3. =MGN=RedEagle

What do you mean?

I have this member upgrade that people can see forums when they get more than 5 posts. However it does not upgrade them within an hour... :(

I have it setup so people need to make posts to apply to my gaming server so they make the posts and still can't see the application page.
  4. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Okay, yeah, put that at every 5 minutes.

All I'm saying is that cron jobs are usually "calls" to server - telling it to update at this time, and at this frequency [every x minutes, etc]. So, if you have like 1,000 users online and they're doing 20,000 actions that requires 20,000 cron jobs, you strain the server - because like I said before, it calls to the server at the criteria(s) you set. The server talks to these cron jobs and the cron jobs tells the server to do this, and vice versa.
  5. =MGN=RedEagle

Did I get that right?
  6. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Yep, I think. :)