1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I extend the editor?

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by rhodes, Oct 30, 2013.

1. rhodes

rhodes Active Member

I've purchased Xenforo yesterday after playing around with Vbulletin 5 for some days.
    I really like the straightforward installation, the huge number of plugins and the very active user community.

However, now I have to make some adjustments for our new community, but I'm not quite sure where to start. Perhaps one of the more experienced users has a hint for me.

This is the requirement:
    • Add an additional button to the editor toolbar.
    • A click on this button opens a modal dialog (similar to the the insert media dialog) or a div container below the editor (similar to the add smiley dialog). Both solutions are fine.
    • The dialog contains a search text field and a submit button.
    • Search strings are submitted to an external REST interface. The REST response is a html string containing one or more linked images.
    • A click on one of the images copies the images html string into the editor.
    I'm not quite sure if I have to develop a new xf addon or if it is sufficient to extend the editor with a new js plugin.

I'm happy about every hint.

Thank you

2. cclaerhout

cclaerhout Well-Known Member

3. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

It is a strange fact that @cclaerhout s MCE4 is much better documented and much more easier extendable than the default redactor editor. It also has much more features and is much more configurable.
  4. rhodes

rhodes Active Member

@cclaerhout - thank you very much for this information. I've installed your MCE4 yesterday and I really like it.