XF 1.5 How can I address these facebook sharing issues?

tribedude

I have my app ID and secret input into the proper fields in ACP. I have our own logo.og.png in /styles/default/xenforo.

I tried sharing this thread to facebook as test:

http://www.tribemagazine.com/board/threads/thinking-of-trying-shark-cage-diving.171653/

What facebook gets when I share this thread from the board is this:

fb-share-error.PNG

1) The Thread Title and the one line of text content seems to be OK, however the image in the thread - the image associated with the youtube link in the thread - isn't scraped and instead we get [MEDIA].

2) I replaced our logo, and I understand it can take weeks for facebook to refresh the cache so ours shows. Is there any way to get them to re-crape the site sooner?

Facebook debugger comes back with these warnings.:

• Inferred Property
    The 'og:image' property should be explicitly provided, even if a value can be inferred from other tags.
  • Facebook URL
    Facebook URLs cannot be crawled.
  • Inferred Property
    The 'og:url' property should be explicitly provided, even if a value can be inferred from other tags.
  • Inferred Property
    The 'og:title' property should be explicitly provided, even if a value can be inferred from other tags.
  • Share App ID Missing
    The 'fb:app_id' property should be explicitly provided, Specify the app ID so that stories shared to Facebook will be properly attributed to the app. Alternatively, app_id can be set in url when open the share dialog.
How should I address the above warnings in Xenforo or do I need to?

1) The Thread Title and the one line of text content seems to be OK, however the image in the thread - the image associated with the youtube link in the thread - isn't scraped and instead we get [MEDIA].
That is the correct behaviour.

2) I replaced our logo, and I understand it can take weeks for facebook to refresh the cache so ours shows. Is there any way to get them to re-crape the site sooner?
Other than using the debugger, no.

We also created a thread with a static image and tried to share that and it does not scrape and share the image but instead gives this text
Code:
[IMG]
. Shouldn't it actually display the image and not that?

fb-share-error2.PNG

Last edited:
No, the [IMG]and [MEDIA] you see are the context representations in a text-only setting.

What does that mean? What if I want to have the image in the thread shared when someone shares a thread from my forum? Isn't this what opengraph facebook sharing supposed to do?

What do I have to do to get my xenforo board to share the image in the thread in addition to the thread title and text content? This is what I am asking.

When I share a post to facebook from a wordpress site for example, and a featured image for that post is selected in WP, the facebook share includes the post title, some text content, and IMPORTANTLY, the featured image.

Shouldn't a thread shared from a Xenforo forum also behave the same way?

Top Bottom