How about Wordpress 5 then?

Mr Lucky

Seems to be quite a lot of kicking back against the new text editor

Any opinions either way?

I've used the new editor a little. It seems to be more aimed at people who used lots of mixed media in their posts and it makes it easier to do that at the cost of making it more difficult to simply write.

It's still functional from what I can tell and if I did use a lot of mixed media I could see it as an improvement. It will just take some getting used to.

People hate change, especially drastic changes. I think that's where most of the push back is coming from. I think if they had released bits and pieces of it as updates to the editor over time, people wouldn't be so upset about it.

If I'm not mistaken, old WP4 was forked as ClassicPress by some people unhappy with WP5 changes and looking at feedback many are switching to it.

Wonders of open source!

Yes I am investigating Classic Press. What shocks me a bit is the arrogant and condescending response from Wordpress to some of the feedback.

I'm using it with Divi editor. They are pushing visual editor, but don't like it much...

But! After a while you get used of that visual editor. Still not 100% sure about it, but we'll see.

It's quite possible Gutenberg may have some good points, but I think there are two big issues:

• Rushed out too quickly (pressure to compete with Wix etc?)
  • Very poor documentation for non tech-savvy users

For some reason YouTube recommended me a video explaining Gutenberg editor and its future for dummies.

If what that dude is saying is true, WP5 is a massive improvement. I rarely work with WP, but few times customers did ask me to help with their WP websites. They were confused about where to edit different things. Looks like Gutenberg editor will solve that issue.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Let me just say this--tried Gutenberg prior to 5.0. Hated it. Hit something wrong, and all of a sudden you have another block created on a page that you don't want. It has numerous other UI issues. What I found ironic and very amusing is that Gutenberg was so rushed that they seemed to have brushed aside a little thing called accessibility:

Gutenberg is an answer to a question nobody asked.

I see it like this. I'll use Microsoft Office as an example. If I need to lay out a long-form document with a lot of writing, I will reach for Microsoft Word. It does what I need it to do, and it stays out of the way--I can write my content uninhibited. Would I use it to lay out a page? No. I will reach for Microsoft Publisher, where I can arrange a page using various blocks.

See the parallel here? Word is like WordPress with its Classic Editor. Publisher is like Gutenberg--you work with blocks to lay things out. Each one has its own use case. And if I'm not mistaken, blogs are more about posting the written word, not loading up pages full of different bits and pieces of media.

A few of my staff have accidentally seen Gutenberg and it was basically a classic "WTF moment" when they couldn't figure anything out. (That was before I was able to get in and get Classic Editor activated network-wide.) And that leads to another problem. Sure, I could probably curse at Gutenberg and muddle through it, but other users who are there simply to create content don't want anything as difficult to use. They are not developers, site admins, nothing...they simply want to write a post and drop in a photo. That's it. They have used word processors and forum reply boxes for decades. There is no need to be littering their experience with all of these pointless new features. They don't care. They just want to write and create.

What I would have preferred is that Gutenberg be delivered as a plugin, like Jetpack. Those who need it can install it. Those who don't want all the fuss and distraction can avoid it entirely.

So...what about that Classic Editor anyway? :)

By the way, there's now the Classic Editor plugin if you want the old editor back.
Only until 2022, when WordPress has said they will end support for it. I've been quite vocal in complaining about that.

If I'm not mistaken, old WP4 was forked as ClassicPress by some people unhappy with WP5 changes and looking at feedback many are switching to it.
This could be both good and bad. Very good, actually--it's the direction people want WordPress to remain on. But bad, since plugin and theme developers will either be confused as to which to support (WordPress vs. ClassicPress), or they will remain with WordPress and leave ClassicPress with all the leftovers and abandoned plugins and themes. If not for that issue, I might actually be looking at ClassicPress with a serious mind to changing all of my sites over to it.

What shocks me a bit is the arrogant and condescending response from Wordpress to some of the feedback.
Oh yeah, definitely--they are telling us what is good for us. As I said above--it's an answer to a question that nobody asked. They are telling us that Gutenberg is the "one twue way" that blogging needs to go. Nobody else feels that way. They are basically ignoring their end users. (And that is the biggest issue when developing any "system"--you fulfill the needs of your end user. You don't pile on a ton of extras they never asked for.) Their attitude on this, especially Mullenweg's, is IMHO disgusting.

And I can't predict the future--will all of us grudgingly just stick with it even though we hate it, until it becomes the norm? Or will it backfire in such a way that admins start moving away from WordPress in droves, leaving Automattic pretty much abandoned and wondering where they went wrong?

Time will tell, I guess.

For me, for now, it's WordPress with Classic Editor. We have about two years to see how it plays out, before we need to decide if we're going to move our sites elsewhere, or see if Automattic wakes up and realizes they've alienated most of their end users and decides to relegate Gutenberg to a best-forgotten plugin.

As a guy who has built his business almost entirely around building custom WordPress sites... I HATE IT! Hate isn't a big enough word for how much I loathe the new editor.

I'm using the Classic Editor plugin until the day they no longer support it.

A reply to a post asking about the ability to change the colour of individual words as opposed to a whole block:
I've been wondering that too when I tested new editor. If text block can't perform basic styling functions for individual words, that block is useless. Its too basic to be useful. Looks like a good opportunity to develop third party block, but relying on third party for everything is not a good idea in long run.

I think Gutenberg is overall an improvement because it is more logical than old editor, but executed very very badly.

Looks like a good opportunity to develop third party block,

The problem is that basic stuff should be in the core.

I installed about 6 block plugins because I wanted different types of blocks. Such clutter when I only wanted maybe one block from each plugin.

e.g. I think tabs, "spoiler " (aka accordion)and floated left or right text box should at least be in the core, especially if they want to sell this idea to, people.

The core does have a "classic" block that would allow the color formatting, but as you can see from the response here, it's impossible to convert a normal paragraph block to a classic block -you' need to add the classic, then cut and paste from the paragraph block.

A reply to a post asking about the ability to change the colour of individual words as opposed to a whole block:
Yes, the old Classic block has a color selection. It was not ported to the new blocks because it generally isn’t something you should be using, like Underline or Justify.
I agree that there might be elements that shouldn't be used (like, I can't get some of my older forum members to stop using all uppercase letters for titles, vs. using italics), but that doesn't mean that some contributors might not still have a use for them. If a site has a certain style and the admin, owner, etc. decides they don't want colored text, then they need to let their contributors know this. It shouldn't be, "You've been bad. I'm taking your toys away."

WP is doing a good job of slowly alienating long-time users. Anything that hampers the process of, you know, writing (which is the reason for a blog in the first place) is counter-productive.

Not sure I follow. WP is a blogging platform.

BuddyPress was their lame attempt at making a forum. I helped a friend of mine convert that over to XF quite a few years ago. It was a chore (due to the BB codes--I had to write some scripting to fix all of those), but well worth it. I tried it myself and it was just too limited to be of any use to us. I would rather just throw Disqus onto a blog rather than use a forum these days, unless the blog is used as a front-end for a busy forum.

It’s too messy to be used as a forum.
BuddyPress was their lame attempt at making a forum.

I agree, WP is not a forum. They do have a forum plugin, bbPress which is pretty lame, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone - although at least it's free and may have a use for small forum needs.

How Gutenberg is going to affect it (and WooCommerce too for that matter) is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
Oops, right, it's bbPress. BuddyPress is (or was?) some sort of social group or social media thing...? I never liked their forum enough to bother checking out what BuddyPress was used for.

Top Bottom