Hotspots by Waindigo [Deleted]

This only shows Lat and Long, correct?

Curious if it shows the address as well. Couldn't tell from screenshots, but it looked that way.

Finally a map where you don't have to install geo something like digitalpoint's did. Great work Waindigo!
There is a difference in what @digitalpoint add-on does and this. This requires user intervention and is for a hardcoded location. His reads from the IP provided (which will follow you no matter where you go - if I visit from Uzbekistan it will show me there on the map and when I come back to Texas it will show me there) references that back to an existing DB and then pulls in the Google Maps API to map it.
As far as I saw, this has no dependency on the GeoIP module because it does not do any referencing back to the IP range of the visitor. I see some strong possibilities for this - especially with my mudding forum. Depending on if that forum becomes popular or not I may have to see about getting @Waindigo to add custom code to allow it to read the location from a mobile phone's GPS (but really don't see how that will be easily possible).

Depending on if that forum becomes popular or not I may have to see about getting @Waindigo to add custom code to allow it to read the location from a mobile phone's GPS (but really don't see how that will be easily possible).
I've never done it but I think this is actually a lot easier than you might think.

I've never done it but I think this is actually a lot easier than you might think.
I can see where this would make this an over-the-top add on. Especially for forums that are travel related, forums like mine that might have some great "mud holes" that don't have a physical address and most phones don't provide the actual GPS co-ords to view, dining/whatever type review forum and more along that line or anything to do with location based stuff people would possibly access your forum from a mobile device on.

I can see where this would make this an over-the-top add on. Especially for forums that are travel related, forums like mine that might have some great "mud holes" that don't have a physical address and most phones don't provide the actual GPS co-ords to view, dining/whatever type review forum and more along that line or anything to do with location based stuff people would possibly access your forum from a mobile device on.

Yeah, I am looking at this as a place to mark venues. Just not sure about the whole lat/long thing right now. I just get the feeling an address would suit better. Maybe have to use XenAtendo somehow... meh.

Yeah, I am looking at this as a place to mark venues. Just not sure about the whole lat/long thing right now. I just get the feeling an address would suit better. Maybe have to use XenAtendo somehow... meh.
You do realise you don't have to manually enter the latitude and longitude, right? You just click on the map where you want and it works it out for you.

You do realise you don't have to manually enter the latitude and longitude, right? You just click on the map where you want and it works it out for you.

I'll have to install to mess around with it. I can see why that would work, but I can see some wanting the address for "driving direction" purposes. Unless you can get directions from latitude and longitude. I usually just enter the address myself.

I'll have to install to mess around with it. I can see why that would work, but I can see some wanting the address for "driving direction" purposes. Unless you can get directions from latitude and longitude. I usually just enter the address myself.
I have no problem adding in address fields if that is what you need, but it wouldn't replace latitude and longitude because that is much more accurate than address data and covers all the other parts of the world that don't have an address.

I have no problem adding in address fields if that is what you need, but it wouldn't replace latitude and longitude because that is much more accurate than address data and covers all the other parts of the world that don't have an address.

Completely agree about the accuracy. 100% agree and wouldn't look to have it replaced (for reasons you have mentioned above). I do think the address would complete the add-on though.

Completely agree about the accuracy. 100% agree and wouldn't look to have it replaced (for reasons you have mentioned above). I do think the address would complete the add-on though.
I think you might be right, although it was completely not appropriate for the purpose that the add-on was originally developed for, which is why it is not currently a feature.

I think you might be right, although it was completely not appropriate for the purpose that the add-on was originally developed for, which is why it is not currently a feature.

Yeah, I remember seeing the original postings about this add-on a while back. I think this could be an amazing add-on, for many different things. Heck, you already have seen it used for airports, you have one interested in mudding spots, and I would love to see it for venues. Heh.

I will have to look much more into this. I didn't notice, is there a bbcode that places it in a message in the forum as well? (Just the map image or something)

I will have to look much more into this. I didn't notice, is there a bbcode that places it in a message in the forum as well? (Just the map image or something)
It allows for a full bbcode description to be added. There is no link to forums/threads whatsoever.

The bad habit is releasing add-ons that haven't been tested properly, but then how can I resist when you lot are so much better at finding the bugs than I am!
Show me a software package or add-on that works perfect and I'll show you one that only prints "Hello World". :p

Take in an address and geocode it. ;) I've done it plenty (I've written quite a few store locators in my day) and it usually works out.

Top Bottom