Hosting ?

parafly9

Hi all, just purchased Xenforo. Been using VB 4.2.5 for a while and it's getting painful to say the least.

Anyway, I'm excited to move my community over. One of the things I want to do while doing this migration is also change hosts. SO I will deploy Xenforo on it's future home and ultimately cut over from my current host. I am using JaguarPC VPS today and when it's up, it's OK, but I have issues with missing backups, lockouts, etc. and they are expensive.

I was considering cloudways, but then figured it would be cheaper to go direct to digitalocean. Anyone use DO? I am NOT a server admin in any way. I can deploy wordpress and make some tweaks, but barely, and i usually cause more issues than I solve. I do have a sysadmin that I use when I need their help (usually once every two years or something).

Is digitalocean a bad move because it's not managed? If so, Cloudways may be OK? Or any other suggestions? I'm paying over $100 a month for a hybrid vPS now with 6gb ram, 4vcpu, and 160gb hard drive and 8tb bandwidth. My site is not utilizing that nowadays, and I'd like to pay around half that (or less!)

Any other host suggestions are welcome. Priorities are reliability, responsiveness and reasonable cost.

What size is your site, how many concurrent visitors, bandwidth?

Ultimately those are the factors which will determine what sort of hosting you need.

In general, XF is considered to use fewer resources than other software.

A lot of folks here rave about Knownhost, which starts at $28 per month. (but everything is priced as an add on, like cpanel, litespeed, jetbackup, etc) They seem decent and very helpful.

I have had great luck with MDDHosting, personally. Price is higher, but all inclusive. In fact, I'm on a shared server (reseller server) and it's extremely reliable. I have two Xenforos on this account, in fact. No problems here, except that I can't run Elasticsearch on this setup.

I converted my last VB 4.2.5 forum to XF 2.2 just 3 days ago, and it went extremely well. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Backups Backups Backups, just in case.

I moved my old VB forum to a subfolder, and changed the .htaccess in there to force/use the old version of PHP. I just kept it going for reference, and will zap it in a few more weeks. I put the XF install in the root folder, where the other one was. (and changed default PHP to 7.4.11) The importer worked flawlessly and FAST, and just about everything converted seamlessly.

You're making a good decision, with this move! :) I figure it is a matter of months before providers start turning off unmaintained/depreciated PHP 5.6 things like VB, as a security concern. There are exploits regularly, and VB doesn't patch the product. With all the new privacy rules and litigation flying around, I was nervous about data being compromised with the other product.

XF updates regularly, in fact they had a security release just today.

Last edited:
I've used DO for years now if you have any specific questions.

If you're not going managed then you'll generally get a lot more bang for your buck, at least half what you're currently paying depending if you need block storage/spaces over what's provided on the VPS. I pay around $35/month for 4Gb/2vCPU/80Gb + 100Gb block storage + backups.

Hi all, just purchased Xenforo. Been using VB 4.2.5 for a while and it's getting painful to say the least.

Anyway, I'm excited to move my community over. One of the things I want to do while doing this migration is also change hosts. SO I will deploy Xenforo on it's future home and ultimately cut over from my current host. I am using JaguarPC VPS today and when it's up, it's OK, but I have issues with missing backups, lockouts, etc. and they are expensive.

I was considering cloudways, but then figured it would be cheaper to go direct to digitalocean. Anyone use DO? I am NOT a server admin in any way. I can deploy wordpress and make some tweaks, but barely, and i usually cause more issues than I solve. I do have a sysadmin that I use when I need their help (usually once every two years or something).

Is digitalocean a bad move because it's not managed? If so, Cloudways may be OK? Or any other suggestions? I'm paying over $100 a month for a hybrid vPS now with 6gb ram, 4vcpu, and 160gb hard drive and 8tb bandwidth. My site is not utilizing that nowadays, and I'd like to pay around half that (or less!)

Any other host suggestions are welcome. Priorities are reliability, responsiveness and reasonable cost.
Check out Linode. They are excellent and priced very well with great and responsive service. Plenty of options to choose from.

I use their dual-core 4GB tier with 80 GB of storage ($20/month), with 100 additional GB of attached block storage ($10/month) and daily backup ($5/month).

Pricing is here:

I use Liquid Web. Nothing but great service. You might want to look into them.

managed is expensive. you probably don't need to pay for it if you get a good control panel and aren't afraid to spend some time asking questions.

I use vultr, link in sig with some bonus credits for both of us if you sign up. happy with their vps high compute service. i'm on a smaller sized on 2/4 and it runs my 1.5m post board just fine

Top Bottom