Hosting needed

Thanks Tracy. By outgrow, how many members do you mean or bandwidth ?
Both, but also number of posts, attachments, conversations etc will affect the resources your site needs to operate.

If you have a smaller site, but want to use Enhanced Search, you will need a VPS or Dedicated server.

I run mine on a shared hosting environment. Its quick and responsive, I dread having to move to a vps or a dedi because of cost.
It's only money.... you can't take it with you. :D
For all 3 of my servers I'm only paying around $220 a month now. None of them have hardware RAID (software only) and I back all the data up regularly to a remote VPS and here at the house. The hosting provider is supposed to be pretty good at getting equipment that fails replaced in a timely manner - and by having multiple servers I can always copy the necessary information over to one of them while it's getting repaired. If nothing else, I can always set up a spare VPS on my Proxmox one.

It's only money.... you can't take it with you. :D
For all 3 of my servers I'm only paying around $220 a month now. None of them have hardware RAID (software only) and I back all the data up regularly to a remote VPS and here at the house. The hosting provider is supposed to be pretty good at getting equipment that fails replaced in a timely manner - and by having multiple servers I can always copy the necessary information over to one of them while it's getting repaired. If nothing else, I can always set up a spare VPS on my Proxmox one.

It not that I can' take it with me, its I do not have it to to spend...

If your website is small. I would not recommend spending money on VPS or dedicated servers. A shared hosting with a reliable web hosting company would be enough.
BTW, The number of posts/members does not reflect the website activity.. The members online (with no cookies value change) does. xenForo was built to handle a fair amount of online members without causing heavy load on the server.
You can start with a shared hosting plan and when the activity on your forum increases enough and your hosting company start complaining you can make the move to a VPS or dedicated server.

Top Bottom