Heads up - critical PHP patch needed tomorrow for all servers

ES Dev Team

Well-known member
Licensed customer
Be prepared to update your PHP tomorrow as there'll be a patch for a 10.0 level CVE tomorrow. PHP.net is not releasing details until then.

php.net is intermittently not responding so here is a screenshot of their latest message.

1792560985405.webp

Proof of concept attack:
https://jackalsyn.com/posts/php-up-2026.html
I contacted the authors of this PoC on X and they tell me it's purposefully crippled.
However the mitigation advice looks good

Here's how you'd apply those mitigations:

Code:
Add 2 Apache site entry:
# CVE remediation
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP:Content-Type} ^multipart/form-data [NC]
RewriteRule ^ - [F,L]

Add 2 Nginx site entry:
if ($http_content_type ~* "multipart/form-data") {
    return 403;
}

php.ini:
;CVE mitigation
session.upload_progress.enabled = Off

Please note, the multipart/form-data will very likely break xenforo, i have not tested it. I saw it break the wordpress backend but not the frontend. I'm going through and remediating all servers tonight.
 
I failed to get AI to make the PoC workable, here's the co-author's words.

Screenshot_20261021_002834.webp

I hear also the PHP team members are saying the suggested mitigations won't work but i am applying the last line anyway.
 
I'm just going to wait for the patch with a downtime .html file up. Exploit is in the wild.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
 
Last edited:
My hoster (I'm on shared hosting) has started to prepare for the fix this morning. This means currently my forum is reachable, but one cannot do more than read: Posting and any setting change in ACP or even logging into ACP is currently not possible. I hope, that after the fix everything will be back to normal w/o the need for an XF update or such.
 
 
@MattW - how did you handle this php situation ?
By patching everything as soon as possible. Some tweaking of my own stuff to use Remi repos rather than OS versions as well.

WAF from Cloudflare, cPFence, Imunify360 and still pending Cloudlinux to release the alt-php versions which they are building.

Some people have PHP7.4, which is waiting for @eva2000 backporting, so I've taken their sites offline.
 
Yeah, to take mine offline quickly and temporarily I created a block everyone policy in cloudflare, created an application covering the forum url or domain, and applied the policy to it. It was not very pretty but it got the job done for a few minutes to complete the security update.
 
Back
Top Bottom