Hosting Advice

Atmazphere

Hi,
I'm looking for a host for my XenForo forum, rather than using a shared host. I've been looking at OVH, Linode and Digital Ocean (kinda). I have used OVH before, and everything was great - but I've never used it for XenForo. I heard good reviews about Linode and Digital Ocean, but I'm still stuck.

Do you have any suggested hosting providers for a XenForo? Right now there is ~100 members, expecting to jump a lot more in the near future as well.

Well I can recommend my host. A lot of people like going with "well known" hosts however I went the cheap option and still got the best of both worlds. My host not might be well known but I've been with them for 6 months and my site hasn't gone down a single time. Support is great and I'd never look back because I got much more than what I paid for. Got a 12 GB RAM 100 GB SSD OpenVZ VPS for $110/year. That doesn't include cPanel. I pay $180/year for cPanel and softaculous separately from buycpanel.com

But my host is Host Rush. Check them out.

https://www.hostrush.com

Good luck!

Well I can recommend my host. A lot of people like going with "well known" hosts however I went the cheap option and still got the best of both worlds. My host not might be well known but I've been with them for 6 months and my site hasn't gone down a single time. Support is great and I'd never look back because I got much more than what I paid for. Got a 12 GB RAM 100 GB SSD OpenVZ VPS for $110/year. That doesn't include cPanel. I pay $180/year for cPanel and softaculous separately from buycpanel.com

But my host is Host Rush. Check them out.

https://www.hostrush.com

Good luck!
Hey Brad, thanks for the reply. I checked out your host and it's very nice, but - I'd like to go with a bigger host/known host for this project. For another project, I'll definitely be keeping you in mind.

Back on topic, I am thinking on going with SoYouStart, a branch of OVH.

Hey Brad, thanks for the reply. I checked out your host and it's very nice, but - I'd like to go with a bigger host/known host for this project. For another project, I'll definitely be keeping you in mind.

Back on topic, I am thinking on going with SoYouStart, a branch of OVH.

I understand but not sure as to why when your basically getting the exact same thing... I can understand your take on it however. If you don't care too much about price then I would go with a bigger host too.

I understand but not sure as to why when your basically getting the exact same thing... I can understand your take on it however. If you don't care too much about price then I would go with a bigger host too.
Nothing against you or anything, but last time I went with a smaller host, they closed and I ended up losing my files.

Nothing against you or anything, but last time I went with a smaller host, they closed and I ended up losing my files.

I can understand that. For one I take off-site backups with a trick I learned with Windows Live Mail. I just have them delivered to my PC and never have to worry about it. If you need help wanting to know how shoot me a message and I'll try to help. Losing your files is terrible.

Anyways my host is an accredited buiness with the better business bureau so they are what they say they are. Been in business for a while too. But I'm just trying to help. You do what you choose to do and I hope you find a great host. I'm sure other people will give you some more advice too. Anyways just wanted to say that. I hope you find what your looking for.

Also have off-site backups. I move all of my backups from Linode to S3... "just in case". :)

Another option is RamNode. I've been with them now for about 8 months with no issues and have had a VPS with the prior for around 6 months until I moved to a dedicated server. I downsized back to a VPS as my sites were not busy and the server was overkill.
Support (when I've needed it) was excellent and the price is very reasonable.

If you had a VPS at OVH before and were happy, use them again. It will work just fine for xF. There are no super special requirements that would cause it to work any differently.

FWIW, OVH should be considered with caution, they once deleted my backup server (thankfully we had backups of the backups), without any notice for a missed bill. Worth noting our account always paid on time, auto-pay was on, and I had $480 in credit in my account at time of deletion.

I use OVH for less critical projects. Currently, I only have one server with them. Good range of servers for a good budget price, but I've had some nightmares like @Mike Creuzer as well, which would make sure that I never use them for important data or cases where I need reliability. You get what you pay for I guess.

I'm personally loving AWS right now and using them for quite a few projects, but it can get a bit pricey. I agree that you should ideally stick with larger name providers. I can definitely recommend Linode, I've used them for years and they're great. Never had reliability issues and the performance is superb. Cool support team as well. Digital Ocean isn't bad either.

FWIW, OVH should be considered with caution, they once deleted my backup server (thankfully we had backups of the backups), without any notice for a missed bill. Worth noting our account always paid on time, auto-pay was on, and I had $480 in credit in my account at time of deletion.

Quite literally everything with OVH is automated...that's how you get a server in 120 seconds. Nobody actually sits there and provisions the server for you. Same goes for the destruction of servers for unpaid bills. No real person actually looks at your account to see that you paid your bills on time in the past, or if you have credit in your account.

Top Bottom