Lack of interest Honorable discharge, vacation or termination option

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

craigiri

It might be nice to be able to terminate (really - ban) accounts, but without the action being described as banned.

I have members who ask to terminate their accounts - my usual response is just for them to change all their alert prefs and log out.

But many people honestly cannot help themselves. They want to stay away, but can't. If you ban them, other members consider it negative.

So my suggestion is for some softer descriptions to be allowed, although most of the functions would be the same. It might involve other members getting a "member has asked to be on hiatus - we don't know when they will be back" or even a "member is deceased, sorry" message.

Has something of the sort been suggested before?

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm not sure about the
So my suggestion is for some softer descriptions to be allowed, although most of the functions would be the same. It might involve other members getting a "member has asked to be on hiatus - we don't know when they will be back" or even a "member is deceased, sorry" message.
part but the whole not letting them do anything can be done by putting them in a different user group. I don't know why a community would encourage the behavior of randomly leaving forever though.

Just create a new user group based on the permissions of the Banned user group, but name it Retired Users or something like that.

Well, lots of people move on for reasons which are not worthy of "bans"...
They may feel they are simply addicted
They may have gotten all the info needed and wanted to move on without contacts, etc.
lots more.....

The usergroup thing in a good idea, but their old friends and followers would not know that when trying to send them a PM, etc.

This would be an easier one-stop action which would make certain that others knew they were not around and cannot be contacted.

Just create a new user group based on the permissions of the Banned user group, but name it Retired Users or something like that.

So when people try to message this person, they would know? And when they look at their user profile, etc...would they know?

The usergroup thing in a good idea, but their old friends and followers would not know that when trying to send them a PM, etc.

This would be an easier one-stop action which would make certain that others knew they were not around and cannot be contacted.

They can post a status on their profile to let people know.

Something like this, for example: "No longer visiting, so messages will not be replied to."

It might be nice to be able to terminate (really - ban) accounts, but without the action being described as banned.

I have members who ask to terminate their accounts - my usual response is just for them to change all their alert prefs and log out.

But many people honestly cannot help themselves. They want to stay away, but can't. If you ban them, other members consider it negative.

Has something of the sort been suggested before?
When someone asks me to "delete" their account because they cannot help themselves on not logging in again
I change their password and their email. That pretty much makes sure they cannot login anymore.

I do not care for deletion requests, but something that regularly happens on my big board is that people get too addicted to my site and need some time off. They request a temp ban. But this give the wrong impression and makes the moderator team look overzealous.
It would be really helpful to have a voluntary leave function where members can ban themselves for a short time.

When someone asks me to "delete" their account because they cannot help themselves on not logging in again
I change their password and their email. That pretty much makes sure they cannot login anymore.

I just delete them & leave their posts in place as guest users.

Happens with maybe 1-2% over time, mostly morons who somehow registered by accident, very rarely with real users who want to move on.

In the latter group, sometimes there are sometimes good reasons, e.g. a quasi public personality (i.e. in the news) who had gone through a divorce & was being stalked by low-life relation who had joined our site. It's best just to let them go & get on with their lives.

Top Bottom