Homepage re-direct question, and some SEO questions

Trix

On my website i have my forums set to /forums/ . At my root (domain.com) i have a redirect html file ( i believe ) or something there that is redirecting people to the forums.

Is this a really bad way to have things setup? I'm starting to take a bit more interest in google search results, and seo things and was wondering if this is hurting me at all.

I also have a tab at the top that says HOME, and if you click it, it just takes you to the forums. I really want to set up a home page, and have it so when people visit my domain name, that's my homepage. Which brings me onto another question, I really love the Xenforo.com homepage layout. Is there anyway to get a copy of this to use on our own site? Or a guide somewhere to setting up our own homepage.

Lastly each of my forum sections are labelled with the same name. Is this also a bad idea? I couldn't think of a name for each section so i named them all the same, after my websites title. So the forums are kind of like:

Mywebsite.com
-- Welcome section
-- Announcement section

Mywebsite.com
-- Another section
-- You get the point

Thanks for any help, i'm just starting to try and really get my site sorted out properly for once.

If you don't have anything installed in the root, why have you installed XenForo in /forums?

Unless you have a reason to keep the root free, I would always advocate doing that.

There are portal add-ons which can be used to create a home page, if that's what you wish.

I used to have vBulletin, then IPB, and it was always easier having them installed into /forum/ or /forums/ so that i could download a html design, or install wordpress for the homepage. But Xenforo seems too 'complete' to need to do either of those and i am assuming i can just make a 'page' as my homepage in xenforo?

I really don't want to use any add ons for it so that i don't need to rely on them being updated to work when i update Xenforo.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes, you can use a Page node as your home page - I used to do that myself.

Then I created an add-on as I got sick of manually updating it :D

If i had your knowledge i am sure i would create an add-on myself for it, alas i do not!

I really need to look into pages and nodes more to understand them better too.

So i can create a page, that when people click on Home, it will take them too it. Will the url just show as my domain.com or will it have some other bits after it? I would really like it to just be my domain.com

Also wondering about using a layout similar to Xenforo's homepage, but i'm going to assume you can't because of copyright?

And lastly, still hoping someone has some information regarding the SEO questions.

Phew!

There are add-ons available for portal/home pages.

If you use a Page node, the URL will show as the page node URL, e.g. http://www.cliptheapex.com/community/pages/home/

You can copy the XenForo home page - layout and design can't really be copyrighted.

As far as SEO is concerned, I wouldn't bother trying to second-guess Google.
Just build your site and let Google do what it does.

Top Bottom