Fixed Home navigation entry hides dropdown in some cases

stromb0li

Affected version
XenForo v2.2.13
I noticed if you create a new node of type Page and then add it under the "Home" navigation entry, you will see the menu dropdown on that page. However, if you select the Page from the dropdown menu, the dropdown button will be missing on the page selected. If I remove the value in the link field, I see the dropdown menu work as expected in all cases, but the home button will no longer hyperlink back to the home page.

The expected result is the dropdown menu should always be shown regardless if there is a link on the button.

This is reproducible in the Default theme without any changes.

Actually, you can repro this issue on any tab. On the xenForo website, if you go to this link: https://xenforo.com/community/pages/example-page/ you'll see that the Forums tab is missing the dropdown context, but if you scroll down it appears again. The expectation is the dropdown would always be available. Similarly, on this page, if you haven't scrolled down you'll notice the dropdown is missing on the forum tab, but once you scroll it appears again.

The drop-downs list the sub-navigation items, and they are only displayed when the sub-navigation bar directly beneath the tabs is hidden (ie. on mobile or when scrolling down) as they are otherwise redundant.

On the page you've linked here, the sub-navigation items are listed below the tab as expected:
screenshot-MoX41v.webp

Let me know if you're seeing something different or I'm misunderstanding, but otherwise this is the expected behavior.

Ah, I see. I thought it'd show the dropdown in all cases. In the case of parent navigation items to only pages, it does always show the dropdown. I do personally like the dropdown being there, even if redundant, but I could just be weird too. I hope this doesn't turn into a bug for the dropdowns comprised of only pages now going to sub-nav bar too :D

In the case of parent navigation items to only pages, it does always show the dropdown.
That would likely be because you've left the navigation section of the page nodes as 'Default (Forums)', in which case the pages themselves still belong to the 'Forum' section. Which is to say that navigation items for a page don't necessarily have to belong to the same section as the page itself.

If I do select 'Home' as the navigation section for a page and create a sub-navigation item for it, it works as anticipated:
screenshot-yl9doV.webp

In any case, I don't see any bugs here. You're welcome to leave the settings as-is if they achieve the result you want.

I can't reproduce that behavior, unless I'm misunderstanding. The drop-down is only shown when scrolling with the setup described in the above screenshot (there is no arrow to the right).

Repro steps:
Public Navigation - Add Navigation
- Parent navigation entry blank
-Type Basic
-Link left blank

Create a node of type page and associate the parent to the public navigation item previously created.

Public Navigation - Add Navigation
-Pagrent navigation (previously created item)
-Type: Node
-Select a node

Once you navigate to the page, you'll see the tab is selected and the dropdown is present at all times (which I do like and wish the others used this as well)

I see, this is caused by the tab not having a link. We'll likely fix the behavior here to be consistent across the board, but if you did want drop-downs to appear in all scenarios this can be achieved with a simple customization in extra.less (with the added benefit of being consistent for tabs which define links):

Less:
.p-nav-list .p-navEl.is-selected .p-navEl-splitTrigger
{
    display: block;
}

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.2.14).

Change log:
Do not display menus for selected tabs with no links
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Potentially related, I also notice that if you stick a subforum or sub-level of an addon in the top nav (for example, a link to a forum or a directory addon level that isn't the root entry page/position), the is-selected styling doesn't seem to be generated to show the white tab in the background. If you insert an addon entry page into the navigation that is the home/entry point (default, sometimes auto added), that generates the proper is-selected tag when selected.

Top Bottom