XF 2.2 Ho do you travel back to the future and back?

Anatoliy

Your add-on came through beta & RC stages and reached a stable version. Say 10.0.33.
)))
After a good rest you started to work on 10.1.0 that has new additional functionality. And you got information about a bug in 10.0.33.
How to build-release 10.0.33 patch 1 if new functionality of 10.1.0 is already in the code?

You need to go back to the 10.0.33 code as released, apply the necessary fixes and release that as 10.0.34.

If those fixes need applying to your 10.1.x version too, you’ll apply the fixes to the 10.1.0 version and release that as 10.1.1.

Using version control like GitHub makes this easier as you would likely have a branch for each major version. Or, at least, it makes it trivial to go back to a specific point in the history (10.0.33), create a new branch from that and work on the changes for 10.0.34 without having to worry about all the changes you’ve made since.

A little bit complicated for a noob. Do I need github if I do not collaborate with others? Can I create branches locally with git?
Or git is just a soft for communication with github?

A little bit complicated for a noob. Do I need github if I do not collaborate with others? Can I create branches locally with git?
Or git is just a soft for communication with github?
You can just use git globally and create local branches if you don't see the need to push them anywhere. That is ill advised though as if your hdd/sdd goes out and nothing is recoverable then your git history wont ever be back again.
You have the ability to create private branches so only you can see them and use GitHub as a cloud backup for everything (code, git history, branches, commits, etc).

Top Bottom