• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Hide Posts From Guests

Status
Not open for further replies.

borbole

I created this as a template modification first but now I found some time to mod it up so it can be installed as a regular mod.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/hide-posts-from-guests.6278/

Installation. First unzip the mod package and ftp the library folder inside to the root of your forum folder. Then go to your Acp->Add-ons->Install New Add-on->Install from uploaded file: Click the Browse button, locate the addon_HidePostsGuests.xml file inside the mod package and ht the Install Add On button.

To configure the mod go to Options in your Acp->Messages and all the way to the bottom you will see 2 new options. One is to enable/disable the mod and the other to enter your own custom message that will appear to guests instead of the posts.

For more, please have a look at the attached screenshots below.

Thank you for reading this thread :)

If you need support with this mod then please post at its thread at my forum, thank you.

http://www.forumservices.eu/xenservices/index.php?threads/hide-posts-from-guests.16/

French translated added courtesy of Allan :)

Attachments

Hi borbole nice mod. Would like this mod to have some features:

- Hide code, html, quote BB codes
- Hide images, videos

Entire post to hide is not very decent. I would like my visitors to see some kind of content before they register.

Can you add an additional field that states, Hide all posts except the first 'X' of posts?

nice add-on:)

small suggestion

PHP:
if(!empty($options->guests_cantview_posts) AND !$visitor['user_id'])
                    {
                    $message['messageHtml'] = $options->guests_message;
                    }
it's not necessary to check this INSIDE of the foreach
it's better to check this BEFORE the foreach and if it's not set, it's not necessary to run the foreach part

Add-ons such as these, don't these effect google results for search terms which ppl may use?

As the conent is being blocked with this add on, this will also reduce the chances of people finding your site, when searching for random stuff? Right?

Add-ons such as these, don't these effect google results for search terms which ppl may use?

As the conent is being blocked with this add on, this will also reduce the chances of people finding your site, when searching for random stuff? Right?

They do, I've witnessed crazy amount of search activity compared to the hiding features I've been using to encourage user registration. This new thing that google offers, encourages registration therefore more user activity in long term, recurring users. I hope this gets a litle bit attention from devs here maybe borbole can work his magic towards something like this :P

They do, I've witnessed crazy amount of search activity compared to the hiding features I've been using to encourage user registration. This new thing that google offers, encourages registration therefore more user activity in long term, recurring users. I hope this gets a litle bit attention from devs here maybe borbole can work his magic towards something like this :p
So your basically saying, using such mods has NO bad effects on search results/content being listed in search engines, e.g. Google?

Would you say this add-on is Also fine and safe to use?:

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...st-viewing-motivate-guests-to-register.15121/

I have this mod, but have disabled it not long after installing it a few months ago, incase it damaged search listings.

Please advise, thanks!

So your basically saying, using such mods has NO bad effects on search results/content being listed in search engines, e.g. Google?

Would you say this add-on is Also fine and safe to use?:

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...st-viewing-motivate-guests-to-register.15121/

I have this mod, but have disabled it not long after installing it a few months ago, incase it damaged search listings.

Please advise, thanks!

ineedhelp, such addons will have a negative affect on search engines. If you have no worries about user activity, have a strong member base or don't care about search engines feel free to use. But otherwise I wouldn't suggest it so much taken from personal experience.

As far as I know, search engines like google have algorithms to measure the quality of the content, relevance if it's malicious or not. They simply can not do that when the content is hidden therefore it's not indexed as usual content.

I'm very much in the same boat here, so if this 'issue' can be avoided I'll be installing the add-on.

That's known as cloaking and is against Google's T&C's.

You could find your site being delisted completely for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom