Hey, xenforo

I totally agree.

We forum administrators would be in a scary situation were it not for the XenForo team's talents and efforts; we are lucky to have them. I have been following the software since its inception (and running it on my own 10+ million post forum) for several years now and could not be happier with the product. Can't wait to see what 2.0 brings. :)

Can't wait to see what 2.0 brings.

Well, I'm afraid of 2.0 because I'm afraid of big changes in general, and for me the concern is heightened because I have no sense of xenforo's roadmap (not sure why there's nothing published).

Well, I'm afraid of 2.0 because I'm afraid of big changes in general, and for me the concern is heightened because I have no sense of xenforo's roadmap (not sure why there's nothing published).

I think they're worried about other forum developers stealing their ideas. I can understand where they're coming from. Every time I add an interesting new feature/addon, the other main forum in my niche tries to copy it.

If they announced big roadmap features in advance then it becomes a race between XF and the other forum developers to see who can actually implement the feature first.

I think Kier, Mike and Chris would rather take their time and make sure the feature works well.

I think they're worried about other forum developers stealing their ideas. I can understand where they're coming from. Every time I add an interesting new feature/addon, the other main forum in my niche tries to copy it.

If they announced big roadmap features in advance then it becomes a race between XF and the other forum developers to see who can actually implement the feature first.

I figured it was that, but I didn't really know.

There's another issue: if you announce you're planning something, then everyone will expect it. If it proves too difficult or finicky to implement and then has to be re-worked, scrapped, or postponed, then everyone will be disappointed and throw tantrums.

Although it's frustrating as a user/customer to not know where the software is headed, it's ultimately a wise choice by the XF developers.

Well, I'm afraid of 2.0 because I'm afraid of big changes in general

Same here, I'm in the process of a huge update of my site from 1.1.1 to 1.4.7 right now (literally as I type this).

I was using WordPress integration and some other WordpPress-XenForo stuff that would have been broken by 1.2 so I never dared to update. But I've finally got round to ditching wordpress and having a fully XenForo install. I'll finally be up to date and hope to keep up to date.

But now 2.0 could be out within the next few months and I'll have to go through another huge update and I'll be worried about the support for addons I already use. Who'd be a webmaster!!

But now 2.0 could be out within the next few months and I'll have to go through another huge update and I'll be worried about the support for addons I already use.
Spare a thought for the add-on developers.

I will have hundreds of thousands of lines of code to go through and update/redo.

Who'd be a developer!

Spare a thought for the add-on developers.

I will have hundreds of thousands of lines of code to go through and update/redo.

Who'd be a developer!

Without a doubt your jobs will be harder but if I was using your addons, I wouldnt be having this level of anxiety as I'd know it would be updated in a timely fashion!!

Without a doubt your jobs will be harder but if I was using your addons, I wouldnt be having this level of anxiety as I'd know it would be updated in a timely fashion!!

It's not just add-ons, either. Themes can also be a huge issue. I've long since sworn off the use of most thematic alterations, as I think they tend to be more important to admins than users. Heck, some of the largest vB 3.x forums around use that old stock blue standard theme.

Top Bottom