Hey Kier, is this still your site?

DRE

So I was reading an interview about you on theadminzone and saw this:

TAZ: How many forums do you actively admin?

Kier: None really... My own forum is at http://forums.spacebattles.com but I delegate almost all the administrative tasks to the very dedicated moderation staff at that site.

^^^Why not upgrade them to Xenforo? Since your background is also art-related it would be awesome to see how you would make xenforo match it's current theme.

and why haven't you upgraded your sig site to XF yet either? ;P

I think I remember reading in another thread about spacebattles that Kier planned to make the switch after 1.1 due to things still not in XF that his site would still require.

Not this one. I wish tho because my site is kinda slow for peeps in the UK. I give up working on it for now. I just want to start fresh. I want to buy XenForo on my next paycheck along with a new domain.

Oh okay cool I was just curious.

I would convert my current site to XenForo but I'd rather start fresh to get used to XF first.

Just finished your vB interview and am reading your XF interview right now.

My main concern is customization. I have customized my site so much in so many ways that I would have to practice and get used to my new XF site first before I touch my vB site. Then there's the people who prefer vB over XF. People like that aren't even a member of a XF board so I don't see how they can say they like vB over XF because once you join an XF site... there's no going back. For me at least. I'd rather get people from my vB site to join the XF site and see how it goes from there instead of just converting it outright without any member say.

What I did was set up a test installation for Xenforo, while the site was still live at vBulletin, and put a link up for the members. That gave me an opportunity to test it on my server and play around with the Admin CP, as well as gave the members a chance to register there and test things around, knowing that this was only a test site.

After a month or so, when time permitted, I then made the shift. :)

They can't. And they won't. But you're the owner. You're going to change your site to XF and force your members to use it anyway. And then they'll like it lol

When I poked my members I wanted to switch software (from IPB) all I got was cries of noooooo's. But I switched anyway. And I got almost zero complaints ;)

lmaooo that's easy for you to say. I created the site last year. This is my first site. Never owned any other or been an admin anywhere else. I'm a noob so I try to keep some of the decisions democratic. If I end up getting addicted to my new XF forum then yeah I probably will end up converting the other site over because I once I like something I usually stick with it. I like XF a lot as a user but don't have any experience with it yet on the back-end of designing it etc.

If I end up getting addicted to my new XF forum then yeah I probably will end up converting the other site over because I once I like something I usually stick with it. I like XF a lot as a user but don't have any experience with it yet on the back-end of designing it etc.
I think we better make room for another Xenaholic joining us soon. ;)

Happy Birthday ! :)

happy.birthday.kier.webp

Kier said:
I will be migrating SpaceBattles to XenForo as soon as our big board search solution is ready.
Good idea !

You can start fresh, and import your users/data at a later time.
I know this kind of an old post, but do you have any idea how unrealistic that is for a large site? :)

Imagine if Facebook was like, "We're rolling out a new site/framework... Sorry you guys don't have accounts any longer, but we didn't get around to import existing data... We just wanted to get the new site live first. But good news! We are going to try to import them at some point in the future." lol

I know this kind of an old post, but do you have any idea how unrealistic that is for a large site? :)

Imagine if Facebook was like, "We're rolling out a new site/framework... Sorry you guys don't have accounts any longer, but we didn't get around to import existing data... We just wanted to get the new site live first. But good news! We are going to try to import them at some point in the future." lol
I merely meant that ahead of time things could be set up, configured, etc.
Team members can get familiar with it, and what not. And when the time is right, data could get imported on it and the switch could be made.

Oh... yeah... I thought you meant go live on a new platform and then just deal with the importing of existing data at a future date. :)

My import process SUCKS. I wish I paid someone to do it. I'll advise anyone I know who is switching to xenforo to just pay to get it done. This is one of the worst experiences I've ever had as a webmaster but it's all good cause it's worth it.

Top Bottom