Help with bridge/add-on to expressionengine.com

Hi XF,

Can we get an evaluation copy of xenforo just for the purpose of having my developer scope the work required to create a bridge/add-on/converter from expressionengine CMS?

I currently run a membership forum that is built into my CMS, expressionengine (http://expressionengine.com/forums/). My forum is http://www.bionicturtle.com/forum

I am among many expressionengine.com users are frustrated with the built-in forum. I've recruited some EE users, including myself, who will fund the development so we can bridge/convert our forums to XF. If the bridge can be done, there will be an automatic audience of potential customers

Also, if my developers need any particular help on this, is interface with XF possible, if needed?
... if it can be done, we will gladly make the core EE add-in available free for other EE users

Thanks for any assistance.

David Harper, CFA, FRM, CIPM
Founder, bionicturtle.com
davidh@bionicturtle.com
phone: 424-206-9425
LinkedIn @ http://www.linkedin.com/in/bionicturtle

Hi XF,

Can we get an evaluation copy of xenforo just for the purpose of having my developer scope the work required to create a bridge/add-on/converter from expressionengine CMS?
You can apply for the demo here

David Harper, CFA, FRM, CIPM
Founder, bionicturtle.com
davidh@bionicturtle.com
phone: 424-206-9425
LinkedIn @ http://www.linkedin.com/in/bionicturtle
Btw you can add all this "hmm stuff" in the signature's as that's what its for :)

David, I'm another interested EE user.
Remember, you can always buy a copy - fiddle with it for a while - and then sell the license if you decide not to use it. My guess is that you would be only be out $40 or $50......an amount I would chip in for if you found you had to sell it...

David, I'm another interested EE user.
Remember, you can always buy a copy - fiddle with it for a while - and then sell the license if you decide not to use it. My guess is that you would be only be out $40 or $50......an amount I would chip in for if you found you had to sell it...
Selling licenses isn't currently supported by XenForo.com, as they don't allow the transfer of licenses currently.

@craigiri: my developer Shawn recommended we just buy a copy, so we'll do that and I will let you know (like you, i have an existing forum, so i'm interested in the all-in difficulty of porting over plus bridging. Plus, we use permissions to restrict Boards by membership group ...)

@Forsaken: thanks for clarification, I won't expect a resale then

@craigiri: my developer Shawn recommended we just buy a copy, so we'll do that and I will let you know (like you, i have an existing forum, so i'm interested in the all-in difficulty of porting over plus bridging. Plus, we use permissions to restrict Boards by membership group ...)

@Forsaken: thanks for clarification, I won't expect a resale then
It might change in the future, but only Ashley, Mike and Kier could confirm or deny they'll change it.

Hmm, no transfer of a license? That seems strange. So if David bought a copy and could not use it...he couldn't sell it to me? Or give it to me? He has to simply put it on the shelf? Weird...if true.....and not good (business) if true.
IPB has the same approach. They don't support license transferring. What people do, is simply give their log in information to the buyer. The buyer can then log in to IPB's client area and download software or edit the license website information.

@craigiri: thanks for link, I'll ask Shawn if he wants to consider that sort of help

agree re the license: just to re-iterate, I only want a copy so we (my developer) can scope the cost of porting/bridging my EE install; and, we will happily share the fungible aspect of the module (?) as a public good, however that works, for other EE users to bridge. Of course, once we scope it as viable I will pay for my license. But really it's not a huge deal, the labor costs are (much) larger frankly

Selling licenses isn't currently supported by XenForo.com, as they don't allow the transfer of licenses currently.
Incorrect: http://xenforo.com/license-agreement/

The Software may be permanently transferred by the original purchaser to a third party ("Subsequent Licensee") not before 120 days following purchase, provided that the expiry date of the License falls after the date of the transfer. The original licensee may not retain a copy or installation of the Software. The Subsequent Licensee must agree to the terms of this Agreement and waive the right to transfer.

@andy: good to see you, too! Your rocking awesome XF forum implementation is, of course, how i become aware of XF.
David, our forum is mostly stock style with a few custom addons (Tracker, Latest post). We are working on a custom style.
You are right when deciding to move to XF. I know those CMS-based forums which provide very basic functionalities. Hope that you find someone to create the bridge for you.
I would actually go further and see if you can replace EE by another CMS that ties better with XF.

Andy, thanks ... realistically, our CMS is too complex to port (e.g., multiple paid member groups; multiple asset/weblog types including video and ecommerce). I think it's possible that the EE (codeignitor) bridge may be no more complicated than any other cms/wp, except that it simply has not been done yet

But i agree with your underlying point, if it were a new/recent site: since CMS becomes "sticky" over time, you really should evaluate CMS with regard to ability to "hook in" best-in-class services. eg, an in-house forum like EE will NEVER EVER catch up to xenforo

I think you are correct, David....about the EE possible port not being hard.
First of all, there was a port to EE built in (as one of many) to the Impex thing for VBB.
Secondly, I have taken a close look at the db tables and the EE forum uses a relatively few of them and is quite standard. The XF dudes could probably come up with an importer right quick if they had the time - which they probably don't.

Does anyone know if there's been any progress on this? I used to monitor this thread but forgot about it until I ran across an XF mention on the EE forums. I'm specifically interested in a seamless integration rather than importer, though. EE has a great vB integration product, but I think XF is in a better position to take advantage of an opportunity to mix it up with EE. :)

Ark, I contacted David a few times and he promised to provide details - but then never did. I can only assume he is either too busy or not interested in sharing the details. I think he was only doing the import anyway.

However, in the past month I have been exploring and testing various EE to XF scenarios with one of the resident experts here and am pleased to report that we had great success! There were quite a few obstacles, but they have been worked out.....

BUT, this is specifically for an import or conversion from the EE forums to XF - which is what David did.

I know of nothing which would provide seamless integration although it is surely possible - maybe even using a generic member management program like Amember.

If you are looking for something like that Vbee add-on which exists for EE / VBB, you might want to send the developers of it an email. If they think there is a market they very well might duplicate it for EE/XF

In the meantime, if you or anyone else wants any info on the testing and importing of EE Forums to XF Forums, send me a PM (start a conversation). We intend to move to XF in the next month or so, after which time I'll post the whole experience here.

Top Bottom