XF 1.4 help please can someone explain permissions correctly to me

Ian S

ok this morning i was working on the node permission/ usergroup permissions

i imported the usergroups from vb 3.7.1 but found loads of permissions missing, i set all the user groups up with the correct permissions i then find that lots of categories have no permissions at all and need to be set

i thought that if i set the usergroup permissions up and then under the node to inherit it would use the setting from the usergroup but it dont can anyone advice me

its going to take ages otherwise to go through every usergoup and node seperately

ill bless anyone that can make this easier for me, im so close to getting the dev site live now this is the last real hurdle

thanx again in advance

thanx brogan this is awesome, the problems i mainly were having was the moderators etc, i now understand this in the usergroup aspect fully

its the node tree permissions im having problems with, as some nodes have no permissions at all

so as a example if i setup all the usergroup permissions as stated and select all node tree permission to inherit will this work??

its the node tree permissions im having problems with, as some nodes have no permissions at all
Most nodes won't have any specific permissions, unless those nodes operate differently to the rest.

A private staff node for example, or a "news" forum where only staff can post threads, etc.

basically these ones im taking about have NO permissions for moderation so i only need to set them up and other groups that can moderate?

btw thanx for adding the other links ill read them fully

off topic with the help of andy b i managed to get the the cron to work in my other thread BUT it will only work for new users like you said not the imported they still need moving manually

ok after thinking i setup the nodes properly, i tested this to find that it not working correctly in places

ie i dont want some people too see the ip

on the setting for the usergroup and in the forum node the ip is set to set no but still appears when i test it,

is there a reason for this??

thanx

Personally, I find usergroup permissions and node permissions a breeze, purely in thanks to Brogan. As a result I have more than a dozen usergroups that all cascade permissions down from the basic permissions set on the registered usergroup (primary). The secondary groups simply add to those permissions.
The nodes, if no permissions are applied will be visible to all. If you set permissions on a forum for a usergroup then it will cascade into child nodes. Maybe read up some more on the permissions system via the links brogan has supplied.... once you fully understand these you can implement the most sensible structure for your users and nodes.

Remember to use the "test permissions" feature in the admin which will show you what permissions are applied (and not applied) to specific users or staff.
Keep at it :)

im using test permissions as im currently setting stuff up before the main import

so im using my admin userid but changing the additional user

do i need to make a test account??

if i did a new test accound and then deleted before import, would the import still treat the next person imported as userid 2, as i may have a problem with a addon ive had made??

thanx again

Personally, I find usergroup permissions and node permissions a breeze, purely in thanks to Brogan. As a result I have more than a dozen usergroups that all cascade permissions down from the basic permissions set on the registered usergroup (primary). The secondary groups simply add to those permissions.
Agreed.
My only suggestion would be to add 'child usergroups' to handle multiple levels of user upgrades. This really only trips me up when I forget that an addon has added perms and I forget to go check all of these extra usergroups.
It's not really a huge deal but I find that I need to duplicate the added permissions for:
Registered
-Site Supporter 1
-Site Supporter 2
-Site Supporter 3
Would be slick like this:
Registered
-Site Supporter 1
--Site Supporter 2
--Site Supporter 3​

Other than that, once you understand the XF way of stacking/cascading permissions, it quite simple to manage -(Almost everything is 'set' in Registered with small tweaks to Admins, Staff and Supporters. The learning curve is steepest for those used to managing vB permissions. :)

im coming from vb too, as you say once it clicks its easy ive justed checked a test account and all is good, probably my admin status was over riding somehow(y)

It is best to think of the user groups as 'permission sets' with apply accumulatively. The trick is that hierarchy between groups doesn't actually exist in the software, but most people want to think of them that way.

My only suggestion would be to add 'child usergroups' to handle multiple levels of user upgrades.
I'ld love for inheritable permission groups. I come from a Windows sysadmin perspective, so inheritable groups is a must-have feature of complex groupings.

Just need to add, Brogan's documents helped me to see the light too...I came from IP.Board so it was a bit of a sidestep once I understood that permissions only really needed to be set in one place as opposed to in groups and forums.

Top Bottom