XF 1.5 Help on permission

AndreaMarucci

Well, I admit that I don't understand permission. This is my situation and I need some help getting out...

My board is private. Unregistered see only a small part of the forum. Registration is on invite and as one register he's put in the "registered" UG (same privileges of the unregistered) so as he pay he's upgraded to the "pay" UG where they can see everything and write everywhere.

Administrator and moderator can obviously do everything...

I've setup everything before and it worked but now AndyB and also Brogan told me that also the admin user (myself) has tu be in the registered UG e also in admin and mod. I've done that way and now my permissions are a complete mess :-()

Question is. How can I setup the permission correctly that way? Which is the better way to accomplish this?

thanks!

Read and really don't understood. Questions is about seeing or not a forum. If I want that Registered doesn't see forum "A" but a member in Registered -> Pay can see it do I've to use Node permission?

Interesting. There's a way to reset all the permission and recreeate them from scratch since now everything is completely messed out and I don't know how to start away...

To reset all permissions in a user group, go into the user group permissions and click on Not Set (No) in the Quick Check All at the top. For nodes, go into each node, click on permissions and for the the user groups that have had permissions changed (easy to spot as they are highlighted) click on Inherit in the Quick Check All at the top

upload_2015-11-2_11-14-6.webp

upload_2015-11-2_11-16-12.webp

Note: For any numeric permissions (e.g. Time limit on editing/deleting own posts (minutes)) you will manually need to change these (the quick check all doesn't change these). For user groups you should set these to 0 and for nodes you should set these to Inherit.

My changes,

Registered group:
Time limit on editing/deleting own posts (minutes) set to unlimited by default, changed to 15 minutes,
Allow extended text formatting (color, font, size), changed from Allow to No,

everything else remained as default.
I like that after changing a group settings, it appears highlighted. Is there a "restore defaults" option. and i can't find it?

No, there is no option to restore the out of the box settings.

They're just arbitrary settings so it doesn't matter what you set your baseline as.

Do i have to set permission for Bots? (Google Bot etc.)
Where i can find a list of default registered Bots?

(I searched for Bot rulez but i found only question about spam bots)

Thanks!

I want to allow crawlers to fetch the content of a thread, but require registration for "human" visitors. As bots are treated as visitors.... this is a problem.
Is there a way to achieve this? I read somewhere on this forum the same question...

Last edited:
I want to allow crawlers to fetch the content of a thread, but require registration for "human" visitors. As bots are treated as visitors.... this is a problem.
Is there a way to achieve this? I read somewhere on this forum the same question...
No. As Brogan said,

Bots and crawlers use the unregistered (visitors) permissions.

What you are wanting is called cloaking and Google takes a dim view of this.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66355?hl=en

Good point!
I guess it's not cloaking to hide some content and instead of text, will appear "You must be registered to see this content" for crawlers and visitors... right?

Yes, could be a good choice. Thanks!

Another aspect is... i think google "counts" no. of replies as a ranking factor? The page description and content meta-data is from first post, but an entire thread page...

Also, i just checked and see xenforo using "itempro" schemas for person. There is also itemprop for reply in converstations.

I started from idea of hiding content from "human guests" so they have interest in registering, but then "cloaking" very bad...

I was thinking using a custom bbcode to hide only photo gallery for example. Or important aspect of a thread... all other content remains available. Could be this a better compromise?

Top Bottom