Help, my Chrome got self-destructive!

mauzao9

Edit: Just fixed after reinstall and sync most things again!
Hello.

I'm with a problem here I do not know what to do, I disabled everything, Chrome is now loading pages randomly with massive style errors, or randomly crashing.

ruYwKug.png

I try to google "how to repair google", but it only says me to disable extensions and restart, what I already did. I'm afraid of reinstall, won't it delete all the cache, bookmarks, etc? :(

Last edited:
Have you tried clearing your cache (preferably, select from "beginning of time")? If you open this thread in incognito mode (Ctrl+Shift+N) does it load normally?

Well @Jason i do not clean my cache for about 1 year now, can be that causing the crashes of chrome?
It does load normally sometimes in the normal, just from sudden it decides to do that and must F5 several times.

Well @Jason i do not clean my cache for about 1 year now, can be that causing the crashes of chrome?
It does load normally sometimes in the normal, just from sudden it decides to do that and must F5 several times.

An extremely large cache can cause disk space pressure, after which all kinds of strange things can happen. I would first recommend clearing it, if for no other reason than to rule it out. If that doesn't work, create a new Chrome user and trying loading the same pages to see if the issue still persists. If it does, providing a network log when the issue happens may be useful: https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/for-testers/providing-network-details

Also, are you by chance using a Samsung laptop, or any third party "privacy" applications? I've seen a few such applications that offer options like deleting browsing history, but they fail to integrate properly with Chrome and actually end up corrupting the data we store... which can result in behavior like this.

Last edited:
@Jason by any chance, nope. I cleaned my cache the styling issues gone away. I will see if it randomly crashes again today, i hope it don't.

Thanks for your help ;)

Randomly opening page?

Sounds like possible malware, ad-ware, or spy-ware to me.

The style errors though could suggest poor cache or even a corrupted user profile. May need to completely remove Chrome and re-install.

@Adam Howard, the post above you states that the problem was solved by clearing cache.

I won't skim read things & read the full post before replying

:ROFLMAO:

@Adam Howard, the post above you states that the problem was solved by clearing cache.
Sadly, it fixed the style loading issues... But not the crashes, it happens from sudden in a variety of ways i can't reproduce @Adam Howard malware related? Even if it is, my software is working and updated, i have no idea what to fix this, chrome should have an option to "repair". Re-Install will delete all my data won't it? :(

Sadly, it fixed the style loading issues... But not the crashes, it happens from sudden in a variety of ways i can't reproduce @Adam Howard malware related? Even if it is, my software is working and updated, i have no idea what to fix this, chrome should have an option to "repair". Re-Install will delete all my data won't it? :(
It would delete your data, yes. But it's not useable at the moment anyways.....

If you sync your bookmarks to your google account, then all those will still be there when you re-install. I know they carry across to my iPhone, iPad, Mac Mini, Windows 8 stuff. I'm not sure about passwords. From skimming this (https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1181035?hl=en) I'm pretty sure it does. As for the add-ons, then yep it will. I know my history carries across also to all devices.

If you sync your bookmarks to your google account, then all those will still be there when you re-install. I know they carry across to my iPhone, iPad, Mac Mini, Windows 8 stuff. I'm not sure about passwords. From skimming this (https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1181035?hl=en) I'm pretty sure it does. As for the add-ons, then yep it will. I know my history carries across also to all devices.
You're right it syncs everything, years using and never saw that menu:
7PDIYm7.png

You're right it syncs everything, years using and never saw that menu:
Heck... I wasn't even aware that it did the apps/extensions. Guess it's smart enough to know that they ones that work on a computer won't play nicely on an iPad/iPhone. :D

I knew about this feature, but I typically never suggest it....

The reason being is that when you restore from that sync it also restores you add-ons. That sounds like a good thing, right? ...... Except if its an add-on that is giving your trouble..... You're basically going to restore that issue, because Google is going to re-apply & restore that add-on.

I knew about this feature, but I typically never suggest it....

The reason being is that when you restore from that sync it also restores you add-ons. That sounds like a good thing, right? ...... Except if its an add-on that is giving your trouble..... You're basically going to restore that issue, because Google is going to re-apply & restore that add-on.

Most "sensible OCD" people would remove all add-ons and extensions before deleting. :p

I don't believe most people are sensible when it comes to technology. Rather I suspect most people take the path of least effort. :barefoot:

That's why "sensible" is struck through and OCD replaced it. I'm a "little" anal retentive when it comes to re-installing stuff. Get it all back to basics, then remove it then re-install it. Same way with xF in the 1 time I had to do it. Totally removed all add ons, then once my DB was clean of any related trivia to them export it, delete the forum structure and clean install. :whistle:

Top Bottom