Help me out here...

John

...am I just crazy or what. I'm participating in a discussion on a local news website about abortion (I know, I should know better than to debate online on this subject) however, I've had some accusations thrown my way that I replied to thusly:

@gsc123 - you are welcome to your opinion as to the level of my compassion but just like your position on this issue, you couldn't be more wrong.
Let me tell you what a real man is. A real man is one that values a woman as his greatest treasure. A real man is one that puts the needs and wants of his family ahead of his own. A real man can ignore the criticisms of the shallow and self-righteous and will quietly continue to do what they know is right. A real man fights injustice and stands up for those who can't for themselves. A real man knows his strength and blessings do not come from his own hands or might, but from his creator.
This world is full of men who like to think they are real men, but they are as far from that as one can get. I hope my daughters never end up with anything less than a real man. As their father, I will do everything in my power to see that they know the difference and make the right choice. The world would be a much better place if all men acted accordingly.

and had this reply made to me:

You lost me when you equated a woman with treasure. It sounds to me like you think women are property. Somehow, I don't think I'm far off in that assessment.
At some point your daughters are going to have to choose their own men that they wish to marry, and not the men you want them to marry.
The strongest parents are the ones that know how to let their children fly.
You've got a massive chip on your shoulder and I really hope it isn't passed on to your children.

My question is would you have inferred that from what I posted or not? Am I just crazy or just not clear in making my point. I'm really at a loss here...

You're being trolled, John. The guy took one statement of yours, ripped it out of context and is now putting you up for a strawman argument.

Don't waste your time.

I'm afraid I just see two grown men having a bun fight. You've expressed your opinion and so has he. Who is to say which is right and which is wrong? A 'real man' in this context is one who walks away from a forum fight and spends his time showing his woman he loves her :)

Hehe, yes, actually the person who replied to me is a woman and rambled on accusing me of being sexist and all other manner of things. I was able to get a few jokes in and departed once I saw where it was going. Whew, freaked me out for a second...I must be getting old when it takes me more than a few minutes to recognize when I'm being trolled hard lol ;)

Well you're a braver man than me John, I wouldn't go anywhere near discussions on politics, abortion or religion. I'm too old and too cantankerous to be able to restrain myself so I stay well clear :)

Chin up John. Prolly just a feminist trying to get even with the world.The best thing to do is tell her that if she wants wages for women to become equal to those of males, is to actively campaign to change the "Women and children first" to "Children first", and that once that is done we'll happily up their wages to reflect that.

Then all you'll have to do is grab a beer, sit back, and enjoy the show. Trolling trolls. #winning.

Edit: For those of you who think that actually reflects my opinion, you're wrong. But feel free to call me a male chauvinist pig anyway. I don't mind ;)

Chin up John. Prolly just a feminist trying to get even with the world.The best thing to do is tell her that if she wants wages for women to become equal to those of males, is to actively campaign to change the "Women and children first" to "Children first", and that once that is done we'll happily up their wages to reflect that.

Then all you'll have to do is grab a beer, sit back, and enjoy the show. Trolling trolls. #winning.

Edit: For those of you who think that actually reflects my opinion, you're wrong. But feel free to call me a male chauvinist pig anyway. I don't mind ;)
Thats why you just troll the trolls.

Most of the time, administrators are better at it because they see all the tricks ;).

As a woman I think I'm justified in giving my opinion hehehe

You lost me when you equated a woman with treasure.

This says it all - the person replying to you saw that, decided you meant it in a context you clearly didn't and never bothered reading the rest. As the others have said it was a troll-session.

You're a better person than that, John, so don't worry over it :) You're insane for even thinking about getting involved in that kind of discussion - even if you made a statement that was 100% factually accurate, you'd be wrong.. because you're a man LOL

John, you were blindsided in that argument. I agree with Lee.
A real man is one that values a woman as his greatest treasure. It sounds to me like you think women are property. Somehow, I don't think I'm far off in that assessment.
I know you well enough to know that that simply is NOT true. And I don't know you as well as many here.

But I have talked to you and from our conversations, your love and commitment to your wife and children come thru loud and clear and there is nothing that ever said to me that you ever considered your wife less than your equal.

That woman has an agenda and she is using you to prove it. Don't let her. She is not worth your time in trying to educate.

Liz

...am I just crazy or what. I'm participating in a discussion on a local news website about abortion (I know, I should know better than to debate online on this subject) however, I've had some accusations thrown my way that I replied to thusly:

You never lost her, this woman is clearly twisting your words around for whatever reasons (maybe she has time to kill) maybe she looks at herself in the mirror and looks back at all the wrong she did in her life and knows what a good man you are and cannot stomach this. what we do know is she's a manipulating **** that needs to remove her head from her arse . Whatever you had said, this type of person would have twisted your words around regardless. Nothing a kick up the arse wouldn't cure.

But feel free to call me a male chauvinist pig anyway. I don't mind ;)

You're a male chauvinist pig ... (y)

@John
Some people will always start an argument no matter what. As a woman (married to a male chauvinist pig), I can tell you there are women who hate men so much they are not able to differ good from bad, and they will alway twist a situation to make it look as if women are somehow suffering, and on that start a discussion to prove how right they are. And even though I can tell what she was thinking when writing that, I don't agree in her statement. What you say is very noble, however not many guys live by your words and perhaps the woman who replied met those who didn't.

A lot of us women are not really suffering though - and we CAN be reasonable. We just secretly pour water in our husband's whisky bottles when they are AFK :sneaky:

My dear friends, thanks for taking the time to reply...and your kind words! (y) I must be old-fashioned or just naive, but I have a hard time understanding men that don't act and live the way they should...so I have an equally hard time understanding women who I guess have had to adapt to whatever hand they've been dealt. None the less, I got some good parting shots in that discussion and moved on...secure in the knowledge they were all wrong and I was right! :ROFLMAO:

its interesting how a 'real man' is a man that bends to the will of others and serves the needs of others, while a 'real woman' is a woman that bends to no will but her own, and is required to serve only the needs of herself.

its interesting how a 'real man' is a man that bends to the will of others and serves the needs of others, while a 'real woman' is a woman that bends to no will but her own, and is required to serve only the needs of herself.
I do not see anyone even coming close to saying anything like that? Don't know where you're getting that from.

I wouldn't describe a "real woman" in that way. Just the opposite actually. My wife and I have made the concerted effort to put each others wants and needs ahead of our own and in doing so, we have both come out winners. It has helped keep us madly in love and attracted to one another going on 20 years now ;)

@gsc123 - you are welcome to your opinion as to the level of my compassion but just like your position on this issue, you couldn't be more wrong.
Let me tell you what a real man is. A real man is one that values a woman as his greatest treasure. A real man is one that puts the needs and wants of his family ahead of his own. A real man can ignore the criticisms of the shallow and self-righteous and will quietly continue to do what they know is right. A real man fights injustice and stands up for those who can't for themselves. A real man knows his strength and blessings do not come from his own hands or might, but from his creator.
This world is full of men who like to think they are real men, but they are as far from that as one can get. I hope my daughters never end up with anything less than a real man. As their father, I will do everything in my power to see that they know the difference and make the right choice. The world would be a much better place if all men acted accordingly.

You lost me when you equated a woman with treasure. It sounds to me like you think women are property. Somehow, I don't think I'm far off in that assessment.
At some point your daughters are going to have to choose their own men that they wish to marry, and not the men you want them to marry.
The strongest parents are the ones that know how to let their children fly.
You've got a massive chip on your shoulder and I really hope it isn't passed on to your children.

My interpretation of this post.

• You lost me when you equated a woman with treasure. It sounds to me like you think women are property. Somehow, I don't think I'm far off in that assessment.
  • = "I am close minded, I need to make this point to everyone I see because of a lack of positive influence in my life. I am your judge you can pay the clerk on the left in the main lobby."
  • At some point your daughters are going to have to choose their own men that they wish to marry, and not the men you want them to marry.
  • The sentence as it reads but it sounds like a female talking to her father/mother and has regrets and is taking it out on the world wide web.
  • The strongest parents are the ones that know how to let their children fly.
  • = "MOMMY DADDY PWEEASE WEAD THIS :cry: " while thinking I love random quotes.
  • You've got a massive chip on your shoulder and I really hope it isn't passed on to your children.
  • Misery loves company so this person tries to invite you to the party by saying...."I am infact the one with the chip on my shoulder and have been told so such a great amount of times I will project that image on to you in hopes that no one will notice it is me. Which really says that she blames her parents for everything which is funny as it seems she has a monstrous chip on her shoulder and does a hellluva job at superimposing her self-image on others.
Q: My question is would you have inferred that from what I posted or not?

A: No not at all. I would have however assumed by the persons response that this person is full steam on a mission with no definitive objective with losses taken by the general public in the way of needless arguments clouding up a good discussion. This person merely chose the wrong definition applicable in order to respond to how you used it.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/treasure said:
treas·ure

   [trezh-er] Show IPA noun, verb, -ured, -ur·ing.

–noun
wealth or riches stored or accumulated, especially in the form of precious metals, money, jewels, or plate.
wealth, rich materials, or valuable things.
any thing or person greatly valued or highly prized: This book was his chief treasure.
–verb (used with object)
to retain carefully or keep in store, as in the mind.
to regard or treat as precious; cherish.
to put away for security or future use, as money.

His/Her misunderstanding and the need to throttle someone whenever given the chance led to that underhanded tactic she used to get her agenda across which was "I'm free to make my own choices" which in the case of this person doesn't realize you are free to choose how to use your language skills as well and her being so close minded put blinders on the fact that the English language is quite dynamic. Whether the person did it knowingly (trolling) or was just 100 miles and runnin without looking at what was in front of them ...well only they can tell you that.

Q: Am I just crazy or just not clear in making my point. I'm really at a loss here...

A: Nah your not crazy...but who am I to say that :) I wouldn't look at it as a loss...you now know that you are ahead of the curve and sometimes you just have to deal with the people who let you know they hate their life. If I am to understand correctly that you will be the man in your gilr's lives until they find a suitable partner. Nothing wrong with leading by example. The person responding to you obviously is just a rebel without a cause and found something she thought she could roar on. As far as making a point to someone....in this case I would say points are for pencils and that person is sidewalk chalk on a rainy day.

Heh.

Totally agreed with the others, I can't see how someone could read ALL of your post and come away with that take on it John. Seems like the lady was simply looking for a bone to pick, and (like a bad reporter) plucked one statement out of context and built a whole post around it. AKA TROLL.

It's amazing how many people feel that if you don't AGREE with them, you're either not hearing what they are saying, or you're just an idiot. And then they fail to read all of what you actually post, and thus make themselves the one that's not hearing... or possibly the idiot. ;)

Top Bottom