Help Installing from Xampp Please!!

Israel

I used this method to create my forum offline with Xampp: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/how-to-install-xenforo-locally-to-your-pc-using-xampp.355/

Seemed easy enough, and it was! What's NOT easy is moving this forum from my computer to the server...I'm about to throw my computer through a wall or something here!

Here is what I have done, copied the contents of the "community" directory into the server root after changing board URL in admin cp.

I changed permissions to allow everyone to write to "data" and "internal_data".

I'm hosted on Godaddy. On there I enabled the PHP thing, and created a mysql database.

Now when I visit my site I see this message:

"An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later."

And if I go to the site /install I get this wall of errors:

Server Error

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
  1. Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->_connect() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 315
  2. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->getConnection() in XenForo/Application.php at line 553
  3. XenForo_Application->loadDb()
  4. call_user_func_array() in XenForo/Application.php at line 780
  5. XenForo_Application->lazyLoad() in XenForo/Application.php at line 810
  6. XenForo_Application::get() in XenForo/Application.php at line 1099
  7. XenForo_Application::getDb() in XenForo/Session.php at line 166
  8. XenForo_Session->__construct() in XenForo/Install/Controller/Upgrade.php at line 43
  9. XenForo_Install_Controller_Upgrade->_setupSession() in XenForo/Controller.php at line 298
  10. XenForo_Controller->preDispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 309
  11. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  12. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/content/45/9043745/html/install/index.php at line 18
Please help, I haven't a clue what I'm doing at this point.... I thought this was going to be easy peasy like WordPress...
Should I just scrap this Xampp build and start with a fresh install on the server and build everything on site there?
Thanks,

Did you update the MySQL information in your library/config.php file? And did you copy your database to your Godaddy server (not needed if you want to do a new install).

Did you update the MySQL information in your library/config.php file? And did you copy your database to your Godaddy server (not needed if you want to do a new install).

No, I did not do this, have no idea how to actually... Do you have a link to a guide by any chance? I know my mysql used in xampp has a different name than the mysql I created in Godaddy (wouldn't allow me to use underscore). Will this name difference cause issues when I try to copy?

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated!

Thanks for the links. It's a tiny database I'm sure. Only a few posts and settings in there. Downloading phpmyadmin now and will try it out.

I found the section in Godaddy to upload to, and I think I can edit the config file easy enough. Let's see how this goes...

Wait, I think I'm confused... I created my forum locally using xampp. Is there an sql file somewhere in xampp that I need to locate, or do I need to use software to create an sql file on my computer to upload to godaddy? I'm looking all through this xampp install and can't find the sql file...

Hey Jake, thanks for all the help! You were right on the money with what was wrong with my install! My biggest problem was figuring out how to export an sql from xampp and then smooth sailing. My forum is up now and I'm ready to start posting!

It's not really as finished as I wanted to get it before I launched, but I figure I'll work on it as I go along. Here's a link: http://googletvforum.net/

Going to head out to find some nice addons now, and members of course, can't forget the members!

Top Bottom