Hello admin I am trying to get more info on xenforo but I can't read certain posts

tribedude

I run a large vb board and I am searching for information on xenforo on a variety of topics to research the possibilities of switching to it in the future. Many of the topics I am interested in I cannot seem to read because my account here does not have sufficient privileges, or I don't already own a xenforo license.

For example, I can't read the full information here:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/responsive-adsense.2084/

It would really help me to see what usability issues xenforo users are having and how they resolve them. Hiding such information from me, a potential customer, is not the smartest thing IMO.

If I can't research your product fully, the likelihood of me switching to it is slim to none.

Just a thought,

The information contained in guides in the Resource Manager are specifically for existing customers as they include tips and information on how to customise and enhance their XenForo installation.

They do not contain "issues" usability or otherwise, or contain solutions for problems. They are to be considered as enhancements and therefore they are not relevant to someone who isn't a customer yet.

I see that the guide there is specifically about responsive adsense. Do you have a specific question to ask about that subject?

I can either point you in the right direction of some relevant content or someone might be able to answer the question for you.

It's worth noting that the Resource Manager is equivalent to the Mods section at http://www.vbulletin.org where you can only see certain content and download files if you are a licensed customer.

For example, I can't read the full information here:
Actually, what you can't review is the resource material itself (which is not any different than not being able to download said resource - which other commercial softwares also do if you are not a license holder). Discussions of any "problems" related to said resource ARE visible by you by clicking on the associated "Discuss this resource" button on the right side of the display.

It would really help me to see what usability issues xenforo users are having and how they resolve them. Hiding such information from me, a potential customer, is not the smartest thing IMO.
If I can't research your product fully, the likelihood of me switching to it is slim to none.
Just a thought,

Again, by reviewing the discussion area per resource you will be able to obtain said information. The resource itself is just that - a resource, not the discussion of it. Each resource has a discussion area associated with it and any problems/hints are related there.

They are to be considered as enhancements and therefore they are not relevant to someone who isn't a customer yet.

Hello

I am not a customer (yet).
I agree with @tribedude

From my point of view knowing more about posibilities of enhancing XF is important.
XF advertises as a core forum software with lots of enhancements users can make.
Limiting the view for some resources is in my oppinion a blocker for potential customers, who might want to read more about possibilities - especially those one who knows sth about programing and have experience from other forum softwares.

It is not about problems users may encounter but about possibilities that XF gives.

I really do not understand why said resource is hidden

and how it differs form this one:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xencentral-trading-system.448/

both present some high level info about possible customizations of XF - this is exactly what I need to make a decision.

The first one gives support on customising Xenforo to use with Adsense. Support for Xenforo is for customers only as you will see from the Support section title:

XenForo Community Support
You must be a XenForo customer to post in these forums. Ensure your account is listed here.

The second one is a downloadable add-on. As such, the overview page on this just describes the resource, you can't actually do anything unless you download it, which of course is restricted to Xenforo customers.

In both cases there is a discussion thread (just click on the Discussion tab in each one) so you will get information on both from these.

As has been said, this is no different to the Mods section in other forum software like vBulletin.

If you have any specific questions about aspects of Xenforo, then you can post them in this forum.

I completely understand why they don't allow non-licensed customers "access to all areas" because then people using nulled software will come along and "have all". While I understand your point about "wanting to know more", more often than not the "locked" areas are not of your concern as a pre-sales candidate. As has been said above, the discussion threads are open to everyone. But the ability to download addons is locked unless you are a licensed customer (which I believe is fair). :) It ensures you're licensed before letting you download. ;) Too many people using nulled software these days. :D

I agree that posting should be restricted.
but viewing should not

What use I (as not registered user) can have reading some code instructions on how to change XF to suit my future needs if I have no license?

I can only learn how XF works and reassure myself that XF is a right choice.

Unless I have a pirate copy of XF (that would make sense)

...but punishing/blocking potential honest customers from viewing only bsc there are some people pirating software is not a right choice.

It's simple really, those code instructions are addons (of a kind).
They contain, sometimes, actual XenForo code (it's just modified).
Did you know you can get a FREE DEMO of XenForo? Try that. :D

I agree that posting should be restricted.
but viewing should not

What use I (as not registered user) can have reading some code instructions on how to change XF to suit my future needs if I have no license?

I can only learn how XF works and reassure myself that XF is a right choice.

Unless I have a pirate copy of XF (that would make sense)

...but punishing/blocking potential honest customers from viewing only bsc there are some people pirating software is not a right choice.
You are asking to be able to view code that is only useful if you are XenForo customer, before you are a XenForo customer. The only thing hidden are javascript examples, PHP code examples, etc. which are needed to configure the software.

And yes, piracy is a real problem which XenForo cannot ignore. If all resources and code examples are visible to the public, then someone can use a pirated XenForo license without difficulty.

No use, which is precisely why it's not such a big deal that you can't see the code instructions. The preview of the guide they give you is enough for you to get the general idea of the guide: that it is possible to configure XenForo's responsive theme to be extend to ads. How exactly to do this you can deal with when you purchase the software and actually implement the solution. Why do you need to view the code?

It's the same as someone charging for a style. They write up information for everyone to view on the style, provide screenshots & previews, and answer any questions people might have--but only those who purchase the style can install the style and view the code behind it.

Likewise, XenForo resources have plenty of information for everyone to view, provide screenshots & previews, and answer any questions people might have--but only those who are a licensed customer can access the resource and view the code behind it.

I understand :)

but...

When I usually read about any software, I expect that there are some code examples and guides how to do this and that. In addition there usually is a help site explaining building blocks of the software, its architecture, components, etc. ( I am not talking about downloadable resources made by users with working code)

Hiding such information from potential customer is keeping them in the dark.
I am no programer but I imagine that if I would be one, I would like to know more about XF and how can I change it before I buy it.
Luckily it is only 140$ so it is not much but for some it might be.

There will always be people who use pirated software, and I am sure they will find ways to do that simple alterations to XF, it will take just a little longer.

I understand the reasons why resources are restricted, and there might be reasons I do not know of, and I do not expect that to change. I believe in the XF team and their choices - they run a company as they like, but I have right to disagree with some small things like this and express it on the forum.
Forum is to share opinions and it seems that I am not the only one with such an oppinion.

Considering hiding these resources was requested after the RM was installed here should be an indication of the community's wishes as well. This forum is about asking questions and you will get answers. Are we going to tell you the steps in a pre-sales forum? No. Can we give you links to what will help you when/if you purchase? Yes.

I withdraw all my objections ;)

I didn't know that some resources are reachable for not registered user like:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/how-to-read-and-write-into-the-database-with-a-page.328/
(I do not know why I can view some of the reosurces)

I also didn't know that official resources are free to read.
http://xenforo.com/community/forums/official-development-tutorials-and-resources.41/

I previously assumed that all resources have restricted access and I simply stopped trying.
One thing I do not understand is what makes some resources being restricted.

One thing I do not understand is what makes some resources being restricted.

My understanding is that resources with downloadable content are restricted (because download permission is not set for guests/non-licensed members).

Those without attached content are similar to threads and are accessible.

When I usually read about any software, I expect that there are some code examples and guides how to do this and that. In addition there usually is a help site explaining building blocks of the software, its architecture, components, etc. ( I am not talking about downloadable resources made by users with working code)
Most of the freebie software out there requires lots of coding and configuration to make it work. XenForo does not.
I am no programer
Then even if you could read these code examples, they'd be a mystery to you.

but I imagine that if I would be one, I would like to know more about XF and how can I change it before I buy it.
XenForo is PHP/MySQL built on MVC design practices. That is enough information for a knowledgeable programmer to determine how far XenForo can be extended.
I have right to disagree with some small things like this and express it on the forum.
Forum is to share opinions and it seems that I am not the only one with such an oppinion.
Yes you do, we're just trying to indicate to you that being able to see PHP/MySQL code examples wouldn't really inform you on a better purchase if you already have access to an experienced programmer. All it would do is give aid to pirates.

Top Bottom