Heavily modified XenForo sites, do they exist?

Luxus

You can very easily check if a site uses XenForo without looking for the branding at the bottom of the page. I know at least one person who is working on a site that won't look like your average XenForo site at first glance (yours truly :P). But at present all XenForo sites I know look very similar to each other, so I am very curious if XF sites exit that totally don't look like XF sites.

I can tell IGN is XF pretty easily. I suspect it would be really hard to hide the "look and feel".....same goes with most other CMS and Forum SW.

I can tell a WP site....even heavily customized ones! I guess the big question is whether it matters much? The vast majority of users would not even know what we are talking about, let alone care.

We've done quite a bit of modification on http://forums.exophase.com/

Apart from that, the home page uses custom WP to XF bridge. I'm sure someone familiar with XF could tell we're running it from the login form, since that's a rather distinguished attribute of XF. Like craigiri said, though, end-users likely wouldn't notice. Plus, familiarity can be good. Going out of your way to change everything down to the last detail is pointless unless there's a clear benefit for it, otherwise might as well design your own forum system then. XF sites look no more alike than vB or IPB powered sites do IMHO.

We've done quite a bit of modification on http://forums.exophase.com/

Apart from that, the home page uses custom WP to XF bridge. I'm sure someone familiar with XF could tell we're running it from the login form, since that's a rather distinguished attribute of XF. Like craigiri said, though, end-users likely wouldn't notice. Plus, familiarity can be good. Going out of your way to change everything down to the last detail is pointless unless there's a clear benefit for it, otherwise might as well design your own forum system then. XF sites look no more alike than vB or IPB powered sites do IMHO.
Your WP to XF bridge is very interesting. I have checked your site out an have a question even though it's off-topic. I see comments in your WP articles gets posted in the discussion thread of the article. What if the disussion thread is closed and someone posts a comment in your WP article? Or are comments automatically closed when the discussion thread is closed?

Your WP to XF bridge is very interesting. I have checked your site out an have a question even though it's off-topic. I see comments in your WP articles gets posted in the discussion thread of the article. What if the disussion thread is closed and someone posts a comment in your WP article? Or are comments automatically closed when the discussion thread is closed?

Comments are automatically closed if the discussion thread is closed, since it relies on XF permissions.

The sidebar on the forum home is pretty much a dead giveaway that it's XF.

Our header is completely different, as is our post viev, which is modeled after the vB square look.

Since everyone else is.....
99 modified templates
106 modified style properties
16 add-ons
and a huge EXTRA.CSS template

The style I'm currently working on isn't heavily modified layout wise but then i don't think a "heavily modified layout" needs to be since I've seen many alternative layouts that really are not user friendly just to be different. I have however graphically altered it, making it a little different from the standard design.

edit: it's still a w.i.p :P

nature-calls.webp

Allright, I confess I had a selfish purpose in mind when I created this thread. It is related to this thread. I wanted to see if there are xenforo sites who don't have the typical thread layout and then take advantage of them to learn how to accomplish such modification as this seems to be complicated. Unfortunately all sites that have been posted so far have the typical thread layout. So if you happen to see a xenforo site where the title bar is right on top of the thread form (<div class="pageNavLinkGroup"> must be above the title bar), please share a link to this site with me. Thank you.

The style I'm currently working on isn't heavily modified layout wise but then i don't think a "heavily modified layout" needs to be since I've seen many alternative layouts that really are not user friendly just to be different. I have however graphically altered it, making it a little different from the standard design.

edit: it's still a w.i.p :p

View attachment 30416
I would really be honoured if one of these days I could convince you to design a style for me. :love:

I would really be honoured if one of these days I could convince you to design a style for me. :love:

I won't do anymore xenforo work for anyone, no offense to you of course it's a choice I made which is working nicely for me and why I didn't do this alot sooner is beyond me. The software styling and template system is excellent which is the only reason I continue to tinker around with it. Plus the fact I've made many purchases of 3rd party add-ons so I don't want the money I've spent going to waste.

All xenforo work I've been working on has long since been abandoned I'm afraid to say. :)

Allright, I confess I had a selfish purpose in mind when I created this thread. It is related to this thread. I wanted to see if there are xenforo sites who don't have the typical thread layout and then take advantage of them to learn how to accomplish such modification as this seems to be complicated. Unfortunately all sites that have been posted so far have the typical thread layout. So if you happen to see a xenforo site where the title bar is right on top of the thread form (<div class="pageNavLinkGroup"> must be above the title bar), please share a link to this site with me. Thank you.

You crafty sod. :D You know how long that screenshot took to do? a whole 10 seconds. :LOL:

Please don't get me wrong but all the urls supplied in this thread looks identical to Xenforo with basic color changes. None of them holds the customizations many vBulletin 3.x forums reached.

Reactions: DBA
I recall a site from I think a xenforo moderator that looks heavily modded. But I don't remember the link anymore.

Top Bottom