1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headsup, new email virus spreading fast!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AdrianH, Sep 10, 2010.

1. AdrianH

AdrianH Active Member

2. Dereck

Dereck Active Member

Hi AdrianH

And you think I am going to click on an anonymous link on a forum with the warning "Be very careful what you open......"?

Regards

Dereck

3. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

Yes, of course I do klick. I need food to explore. :)
    No yoke.

4. AdrianH

AdrianH Active Member

Since when was The Register anonymous?

5. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

The register is a very popular blog and is in no way an anonymous link :)

6. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

Then again, Dereck sure loves to troll.

But all those mail / msn / etc. virusses shouldn't fool you, ever.

Coby likes this.
  7. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

8. Alice

Alice Active Member

Thank you for the warning, I don't open any email unless I know the sender, I really don't trust email at all, better safe than sorry I say.

9. Dereck

Dereck Active Member

Hi AdrianH

Since I hadn't heard of the site and that you just posted a link with a warning and nothing else to judge the validity of the site.

Hi Sador
    That's a bit harsh :(

Regards

Dereck

10. AdrianH

AdrianH Active Member

So you missed the EMAIL part of the message and seriously thought that I would knowingly post an unsafe link?????? 

11. Dereck

Dereck Active Member

Hi AdrianH

No I didn't miss the emial part of your post and you may not knowingly post a link to an unsafe thread but that is not to say your link isn't unsafe. Only a couple weeks ago my computer was hit by a virus from out of the blue when I was on a respected site so I am a bit weary of links on forums.

Regards

Dereck

12. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

Adrian was dead on, this worm is massive, even if old school.
    Mass-mailing 'Here you have' worm hits in-boxes 
    Organizations including NASA, Comcast, AIG, Disney, Proctor & Gamble, Florida Department of Transportation and Wells Fargo are just a few of the organizations apparently affected by the worm, which appears to have sent out hundreds of thousands, if not millions of e-mails.
    Liz 

13. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Well you did post that link to the Justin Bieber clip :eek:

14. Floris

Floris Guest

Does this affect Mac users?

I still strongly believe it's the end-user their responsibility to change their behavior regarding content they didn't ask for.

http://mrfloris.com/security/improving-online-security/

Improve the way you deal with online content, to improve your security. Requires nothing but a tiny change in behavior.

Don't open emails you didn't ask for. Is obviously one of those tips.

AdrianH likes this.
  15. AdrianH

AdrianH Active Member

Agreed, I never open anything till I check it , any doubt it's deleted. I also have an Operamail account which has a blocking facility that I use for general queries and joining sites/forums , my own email server addresses are reserved for trusted contacts. The problem is that this worm is being sent using address book/contact lists so people see a message from "Floris/Kier/Mike/ whoever they know " and just  click open. It targets those that are just not savvy and there are millions of them out there. Look at the global companies with enterprise level antivirus systems that have been trashed, staff that should know better get excited because someone they know sent them a message and BANG it's too late.