XF 2.0 Having trouble with email registration

jr777

I have enabled email registration, but it's not sending emails and when you register a message pops up that says an admin must approve your account. I don't have the manual approval box checked in the registration options. I have no idea what's going on.

I have enabled email registration, but it's not sending emails and when you register a message pops up that says an admin must approve your account. I don't have the manual approval box checked in the registration options. I have no idea what's going on.
Maybe it's detecting that it can't send the email so it sets the account to manual approval?

Maybe it's detecting that it can't send the email so it sets the account to manual approval?
I have been having trouble with the email system. Although I did try turning off email registration, with manual approval also turned off, and it still wouldn't work. I don't know what's wrong with the email. I'm using my gmail account, which has always worked in the past.

I have been having trouble with the email system. Although I did try turning off email registration, with manual approval also turned off, and it still wouldn't work. I don't know what's wrong with the email. I'm using my gmail account, which has always worked in the past.
Standard Gmail has a lot of quota restrictions, make sure you aren't hitting the limits. Have you tried using the Email Users option and send yourself an email in XenForo to see if it works?

Standard Gmail has a lot of quota restrictions, make sure you aren't hitting the limits. Have you tried using the Email Users option and send yourself an email in XenForo to see if it works?
I just did, and it does not. Strangely, though, a few people have signed up so apparently it works for some people. When you say quota restrictions, are you talking about number and size of emails?

If it works for some but not others then it's either due to individual emails being spam filtered, blacklisting of your server IP address for some email domains (e.g. hotmail, outlook), or potentially the quota limit being reached.

All of that is external to XF so will require further investigation.

I just did, and it does not. Strangely, though, a few people have signed up so apparently it works for some people. When you say quota restrictions, are you talking about number and size of emails?
Number of emails, size doesn't really matter. I believe Gmail limit is 500 per day.

What is the board email address it's using as the sender address? Is it your gmail address or a forwarding address for your domain? If the latter, you need to make sure you have SPF records for your server IP configured, and even then that isn't going to be nearly enough for recipients like hotmail, yahoo, aol etc which are extremely strict on validating senders.

Number of emails, size doesn't really matter. I believe Gmail limit is 500 per day.

What is the board email address it's using as the sender address? Is it your gmail address or a forwarding address for your domain? If the latter, you need to make sure you have SPF records for your server IP configured, and even then that isn't going to be nearly enough for recipients like hotmail, yahoo, aol etc which are extremely strict on validating senders.
It's just my personal gmail address. It's just plain old gmail, not gsuite, so my understanding is that there aren't any records or anything necessary.

It's just my personal gmail address. It's just plain old gmail, not gsuite, so my understanding is that there aren't any records or anything necessary.
Correct, there are no DNS records or anything you need to worry about.

For your own test did you give you an error? If not, it may have worked but you wouldn't see it come through to your Inbox. Google chooses not to display emails sent by yourself to yourself when via forwarding or an external source. You may have to expand your other folders and go to All Mail, see if the email test you sent is there.

Correct, there are no DNS records or anything you need to worry about.

For your own test did you give you an error? If not, it may have worked but you wouldn't see it come through to your Inbox. Google chooses not to display emails sent by yourself to yourself when via forwarding or an external source. You may have to expand your other folders and go to All Mail, see if the email test you sent is there.
I tried registering using a gmail account that I created just for that purpose, so it was one email address going to another.

If it works for some and not others, most likely you have StopForumSpam enabled in registration settings. I disabled this because it was blocking users from signing up that weren't even spammers. You may want to at the very least set the flags before "manual approval" lower.

Also I use admin@website.com for mine and don't use an email server. I'm not currently using email registrations but when I was this worked without any problems. Also make sure you have "sendmail" installed. If you don't emails won't be sent. If your not sure ask your host.

@jr777 Are you actually using the Gmail SMTP settings? I assumed re-reading your post that was a bad assumption. If you're just using your gmail address as the site address and do not have any specific SMTP settings specified, then it's just using your host to send emails, which in general is a bad idea, especially from a gmail address. It's not going to get through to many large providers.

If it works for some and not others, most likely you have StopForumSpam enabled in registration settings. I disabled this because it was blocking users from signing up that weren't even spammers. You may want to at the very least set the flags before "manual approval" lower.

Also I use admin@website.com for mine and don't use an email server. I'm not currently using email registrations but when I was this worked without any problems. Also make sure you have "sendmail" installed. If you don't emails won't be sent. If your not sure ask your host.
Wow, that seems to have been the problem. Really weird because I've never had problems with it before. Thanks!

No problem. I experienced the same issue when I first started using Xenforo 1. I had put in an email other than the admin@website.com email and it never worked. I soon realized it would work if I did it like that and it did.
Interesting. I never had any issues with it when using XF1. I have no idea how the whole things works so I can't even begin to speculate. Maybe XF will comment on what those settings should be for best results.

Top Bottom