Having trouble banning people - maybe i'm missing a setting

Mutt

I'm having an issue.

I have 2 ban usergroups, Time-Out & Dead. Time-Out allows them to post only in 1 forum, the Time-Out forum while not being able to use the rest of the site. Dead, means they've been banned from the site & can't do anything. (permissions are No all the way down)

My staff is using the "warn" feature to ban them. I've setup 2 warnings each of which adds the user the the appropriate usergroup. They are able to use it & the user gets the additional group added to their account.

My problem is, it isn't working. They get added to the dead group & can still post as if they haven't been. Sure their title changed to dead but that's about it. It doesn't work until i go and actually change their usergroup to Dead instead of just being an additional usergroup

is there a setting I need to flic that says the additional usergroup overrides the original or something?

thanks

Adding to a user group doesn't ban someone - it's a state which you need to apply to the account.

Having said that, if you set the permissions as Never in the "Dead" user group then that will override the corresponding permissions in all other groups they are a member of.

thanks brogan.

i've still having trouble though. I had already set those settings to never & they weren't working.

the user title isn't carrying over. I have a usergroup Gold Supporter w/ a Display Styling Priority of 500. if someone is in that main usergroup & I add the Account on Hold usergroup which has a Display Styling Priority of 900 I would expect the person's title to change from Gold Supporter to On-Hold but it's not. the permissions are being applied to the on hold group but the title is all that appears to not work. I tried rebuilding the user cache after I made all my usergroup & usergroup permission changes but it didn't seem to help. I assumed the group with higher Display Priority # would take over. is it reversed & closest to 1 is the stronger group?

at least i know i have it setup right

is it possible i'm having an issue because their main usergroup is not the default one? I understand I'm supposed to leave everyone in the default group & just add them to other groups but I already had the users in different groups & there's no easy way to mass move them so for now my members are all in different main groups & i'm trying to add the secondary time-out or dead groups to them.

thanks for your time

There's no distinction between primary and secondary user groups, as far as permissions, styling, etc. is concerned.
It just makes it easier to manage when keeping all members in the Registered user group.

Do you have any add-ons installed?

If you have everything set up correctly then that's the only thing which would stop this working.

There's no distinction between primary and secondary user groups, as far as permissions, styling, etc. is concerned.
It just makes it easier to manage when keeping all members in the Registered user group.

Do you have any add-ons installed?

If you have everything set up correctly then that's the only thing which would stop this working.

I do. can't imagine any of these being the culprit.
Custom BBCode Manager v1.2.1
Digtal Point Ads 1.0 - OFF
Help Pages 1.0.0
Likes Given 1.0.0
Multiple Account Detection 1.0.1
Post Message Regex Replacer 1.0.0
Prefix Forum Listing 1.0.0
Profile & Member Card Links 2.0.0
ragtek Show My Threads 1.0.3 - OFF
RCBD - RecentStatus 4.0.1
Tapatalk 1.1.2
[8wayRun.Com] XenAtendo (Events) 1.4.3
[8wayRun.Com] XenMedio (Media) 1.3.7
[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal) 1.5.1
[8wayRun.Com] XenUtiles (Tools) 1.1.4 - OFF
[CrazyIM] Profile Links 1.2.1
[splendidpoint.com] AntiSPAM - Prevent Links and Emails 1.0.1
[tLk] ReadPC 1.1.0
[xfr] User Albums 1.0.0 b6
to avoid an confusion (and wasting any more of your time), I thought I better just show all my settings & an example of the issue.

MrWarmth's main usergroup is gold supporter & his secondary group is Account on Hold. since account on hold has a higher style property I'd expect his title to be account on hold.
Screenshot_4.webpScreenshot_3.webp

as you can see, it's still gold supporter
Screenshot_1.webp

Screenshot_2.webp

thanks

Does that user have the title set as a custom title on their profile?
That will override the user group.

If not, all I can suggest is disabling your add-ons one by one.

The functionality you are trying to implement works fine - I use it on my own site.
So it must be an add-on which is conflicting somewhere.

There's also rebuilding the user cache - I would recommend doing that with add-ons disabled. If it works then, then it is almost certainly an improperly coded add-on.

thanks guys. i don't allow anyone to edit their title so no, it's not a custom title thing. I tired rebuilding the cache but i'll do it again w/ the addons disabled.

I did hack the usergroup acp page to add descriptions but it's only on that page & shouldn't be the issue. to be safe, I'll get rid of that too before the rebuild. i've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. (which is particularly bad since i don't have much left)

oh ****, that's what it was. it appears that it was a custom title. it must have been imported from VB. i'm going to have to delete all the custom titles. THANKS!

Top Bottom