Lack of interest Have image attachments automatically add filename to "alt" tag and create an image attachments sitemap

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

bzcomputers

Currently forum image attachments only add the image id number to the "alt" tag which has no SEO benefit. You have to manually edit the "alt" tag to place any additional information there.

If would be nice if there was an admin option to place the filename of the image in the "alt" tag (minus the file extension) automatically. This would be beneficial to SEO.

It would also help search engine rankings if XenForo created an image sitemap.

Last edited:
Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Would be beneficial in conjunction with my suggestion about images too (as users might just upload 20190534_533896.jpg and your suggestion be moot without being able to edit, and then update the alt if not set too).

We paid for some SEO analysis and one issue highlighted was that images on the site don't have useful alt or title tags.
I think that it could be useful if an alt tag text entry box were available when uploading image attachments and also embedding images. This would also be used for the title text.
Then if that is empty, is there more value in using the thread title as the alt & title text instead of the file name?

We paid for some SEO analysis and one issue highlighted was that images on the site don't have useful alt or title tags.
I think that it could be useful if an alt tag text entry box were available when uploading image attachments and also embedding images. This would also be used for the title text.
Then if that is empty, is there more value in using the thread title as the alt & title text instead of the file name?
I don't think the majority of users would fill it in as they don't know what an alt is. You could possibly add a "description" box and use that as the alt...

Still need a permission/mod of renaming images. 2494987389_4983782.jpg is not a good description of a sandwich. Combine the name "sandwich.jpb" with an alt and title describing contents of said sandwich and you got a winner.

Trying to figure out now if I can manually do it in the DB for file names...

I don't think the majority of users would fill it in as they don't know what an alt is. You could possibly add a "description" box and use that as the alt...

Still need a permission/mod of renaming images. 2494987389_4983782.jpg is not a good description of a sandwich. Combine the name "sandwich.jpb" with an alt and title describing contents of said sandwich and you got a winner.

Trying to figure out now if I can manually do it in the DB for file names...
Did you ever figure this out? I'm in a similar situation where my site has a lot of great pictures but they're all random file names from whatever people post, so the bots probably aren't even seeing them most of the time.

Did you ever figure this out? I'm in a similar situation where my site has a lot of great pictures but they're all random file names from whatever people post, so the bots probably aren't even seeing them most of the time.
I know that my specific images are ranking in Google Images.

And, I believe this is because I have the filename set accurately, depicting what it is, and an "alt" of the image expanding more on it.

There needs to be a way to edit image names for mods to go through and edit the names as this could drastically improve Google Image rankings, which increases traffic to your site, which shows that your site is a good resource, and could potentially increase its overall rankings.

I have no control over what other people post at this point, as I cannot rename them. However, if they post in the media gallery, I can retitle them to be a little more SEO friendly as they leave it as 478348747_8939298.jpg sometimes and I know what the image is. Then, I can tag it and add a description as I'm aware of what it is personally.

Doing a little extra work will help you grow in the end.

Without the option to edit and rename attachments as a mod/user permission, it leaves the possibility of not ranking as well for some content.

I know that my specific images are ranking in Google Images.

And, I believe this is because I have the filename set accurately, depicting what it is, and an "alt" of the image expanding more on it.

There needs to be a way to edit image names for mods to go through and edit the names as this could drastically improve Google Image rankings, which increases traffic to your site, which shows that your site is a good resource, and could potentially increase its overall rankings.

I have no control over what other people post at this point, as I cannot rename them. However, if they post in the media gallery, I can retitle them to be a little more SEO friendly as they leave it as 478348747_8939298.jpg sometimes and I know what the image is. Then, I can tag it and add a description as I'm aware of what it is personally.

Doing a little extra work will help you grow in the end.

Without the option to edit and rename attachments as a mod/user permission, it leaves the possibility of not ranking as well for some content.
That is at the exact point I am right now. We just put up some images in the Media Gallery and would like to rename them without having to repost everything. Would you mind explaining what you did (sorry I'm not a pro, but I have been learning more about SEO lately and this is something I'm working on). Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom