Have a Mac? What about BootCamp?

Cupara

I have had my Mac for about a year now, knew it has BootCamp, knew what it was for but I never saw a need for it. Then I started finding programs I wanted to use for developing addons and websites but nothing came close on a Mac as well I play games to relax and one game I wanted, I couldn't play Sim City, the other is Rift. I decided yesterday morning to install BootCamp and use a free copy of Windows 8. I love having 2 operating systems. The question I ask is should I be concerned about resources being used? If I repartitioned the hard drive with my Mac on it to have more space would that erase Windows 8? Or would I be best to repartition once I have bought a full copy?

Thanks to all those Mac owns for reading and hopefully replying. Don't get me wrong, I love Mac OSX but I couldn't keep going without certain programs such as WS_FTP. I can at least update files and upload them on Windows side and do the same on Mac side but I still like WS_FTP for just uploading new files to install.

For partitioning, whilst Mac will allow you to partition using disk utility it can cause issues when you want to repartition, i.e., you want a bit more space on one or the other volume. CampTune is single handedly the best app to manage your partitions, as you can resize either on the fly as you choose with little risk of data loss. I say little risk because there is always some risk of something going wrong when partitioning, which could cause data loss regardless of OS.

I honestly wouldn't recommend either vmware or parallels if you want to play games, and instead just startup in Windows bootcamp by holding the option key if you want to play a windows only game. Games don't like sharing resources between dual OS being run via vmware or parallels from my experience. I use parallels to run programs whilst in mac, but not games. The same is said, if I'm playing a mac game I don't have parallels on and giving Windows any resources during game play.

So am I sharing resources when using BootCamp? My concern is I play WoW and Rift, WoW I have no lag since I play it on the Mac side but Rift is lagging on the Windows side, even turned down settings. So I'm assuming BootCamp shares resources since I have lag issues.

If you boot into bootcamp, you aren't sharing resources to my knowledge. Your mac is only running windows then.

You're only sharing resources if running a virtual software such as vmware or parallels, running both OS at the same time. Using one or the other is dedicated to them.

You will get better performance out of games on your Mac by running Windows in Bootcamp. DirectX outperforms OpenGL, unfortunately.

I found the issue, I get great performance with my games on my Mac OSX and Windows now. When it installed Windows it didn't detect my graphics so I had to install the drivers for Windows, now I can play games perfectly. Just have this brightness issue.

bootcamps drivers for windows is not as up-to-date as it is for vmware fusion. so when you are using bootcamp it's gonna feel weird and suck. instead of messing around with bootcamp, just use vmware fusion. i'm using it and i'm having a better experience using it than i did with bootcamp. plus it's quicker and less time consuming since i don't have to reboot the computer just to use windows.

Top Bottom