Has the xenforo.og.png been replaced by the message poster's avatar?

SneakyDave

Prior to the 1.0.0 stable release, the Facebook feed of messages liked or referenced from a XenForo site used to include that logo.og.png PNG image that defaulted to the XenForo logo.

It appears that has been changed so that the message poster's avatar is used as the image in Facebook?

If so, that's great! And also, is the logo.og.png image used for anything else?

so what kind of name should this og-logo have if I load it into Header and Navigation / Facebook Open Graph Logo
?

does this image have to have the name "logo.og.png" or can I rename it to "blabla.og.png"
?

the original fault is still the same.
I "recommended" this thread .. here is the result
8Cm3E.jpg

is is caused by what ever is creating the header portion of the page.
If you view source this page you will see:
Code:
    <meta property="og:site_name" content="XenForo Community" />
    <meta property="og:image" content="http://xenforo.com/community/data/avatars/m/0/1.jpg?1297905709" />
    <meta property="og:image" content="http://xenforo.com/community/styles/default/xenforo/logo.og.png" />
    <meta property="og:type" content="article" />
    <meta property="og:url" content="http://xenforo...............

Facebook picks the first image in the list of supplied images.
I can't find a a way to undo this feature .. or to even reverse the order.
Reversing the order would at least provide an answer to the original poster (and me)

I spend a lot of time working on my brand image .. one pissed off user could cause me lots of grief on facebook .. not cool.

How do we fix it?

clearly I hadn't looked very hard.

in thread_view
Code:
<xen:include template="open_graph_meta">
        <xen:set var="$url">{xen:link 'canonical:threads', $thread}</xen:set>
        <xen:set var="$title">{$thread.title}</xen:set>
        <xen:set var="$avatar">{xen:helper avatar, $thread, m, 0, 1}</xen:set>
    </xen:include></xen:container>

until further notice I've done this:
Code:
<xen:comment><xen:set var="$avatar">{xen:helper avatar, $thread, m, 0, 1}</xen:set></xen:comment>

edit:
in open_graph_meta swap the two offending lines:
Code:
	<meta property="og:image" content="{$xenOptions.boardUrl}/../sources/group-logo.png" />
	<xen:if is="{$avatar}"><meta property="og:image" content="{$avatar}" /></xen:if>
now if a user pastes a link into FB they have the option to choose an image, otherwise the configured board image is used.

Since the start my logo has been used.
A few days ago it started showing the thread author's avatar.
Now it's back to the logo again.

The only time you do get a choice is when you paste the URL directly onto your wall.
Then you get the option of using the logo or the avatar.

Edit: Kier just informed me that the larger image will take priority. So if you set your logo.og to 400px square then it should always be shown instead of avatars which have a maximum dimension of 384px.

if you remove the line that I mentioned above that refers to the users avatar you won't have problems (It's not facebooks problem .. it's the fact xF offers options in the wrong order)

Or do template edits to swap the order .. ensure you do them on all your templates.
This is a new thing that didn't exist pre 1.0 btw

The new code to allow the choice was introduced in 1.0.

The default order is set to be logo first but as I explained above, the image size affects which one is used.

Update: Facebook is definitely having issues (again). The logo just keeps changing and there isn't even consistency between 2 people clicking the same thread. I see little point in spending any more time trying to troubleshoot this as clearly the issues are all at Facebook's end.

I am facing a problem related to the image Facebook picks up.

In the backend, I have set an image hosted independently as the forum logo url.

It works fine on the forum. But og:image value in the forum source code still points to the XenForo logo.

Top Bottom