Has anyone noticed a decline in forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Counterpoint:

Another thing to consider is Google. Why Google values more a WordPress blog opened in 2018 than a Forum opened 10 years ago with tons of topics?

The UGC (user generated content) is generally penalized from Google. I don't know what Xenforo can do to improve the "value" of content created on Xenforo.

Worst part is xenforo forums rank pretty well whereas discourse / bb and others don't.

The term was already there in the times of Usenet and UUCP (unix to unix copy). Yes, I'm that old.

While we can keep ego-stroking about the origins of "threading" and who is the most knowledgeable about the evolution of forums, this is not really productive or relevant to the discussion (another issue with flat threads).

Back in the times of usenet and unix mainframes, the screen sizes were so small that you could only view 1 reply at a time. It can't be compared to the "threaded" view of this century.

Just because the technique itself is old doesn't mean it should be done or that it can't be improved.

Take a look at the difference between the threaded layout in drupal forums vs reddit. The difference is day and night.

I think it's worth noting that Facebook are doubling down on Groups, and it's clear that they see Groups as a major part of their future growth. Whether we like Facebook Groups, use it ourselves, or think it has a future is completely irrelevant. It has been taking away from forums since it was introduced and will continue to do so. Some forums more than others obviously.

For forums like Xenforo to stay relevant, the pace of development and innovation will have to increase. We have to give the user what they want, and as much as I like the software and think it's solid I just don't think we're doing that. This is especially true among those under 30.

I personally think it depends like forums like ign are doing really well but others have died out

I don't think IGN should be used as an example, they are 24 years old and mainly focused on game reporting.

They would have a massive forum no matter what platform they chose to use.

Like I started my forum a week ago and I still have had no luck in getting at least 2 people to respond to the content I put on it,

So I’m starting to think they are dying

Like I started my forum a week ago and I still have had no luck in getting at least 2 people to respond to the content I put on it,

So I’m starting to think they are dying

A forum needs years to reach a nice audience, plan your content, create a good staff (people reach people), sponsor your site (pay for Ads), elaborate a good strategy for differenciate and dominate your nice.

Running a forum is a business. If you are trying to have fun open a Discord server or a Facebook Group or Telegram.

A forum needs years to reach a nice audience, plan your content, create a good staff (people reach people), sponsor your site (pay for Ads), elaborate a good strategy for differenciate and dominate your nice.

Running a forum is a business. If you are trying to have fun open a Discord server or a Facebook Group or Telegram.
Well said.

If you are starting from 0 users, forums don't magically fill up like they did 20 years ago. But I'm talking about already established forums such as my own that are having difficulty growing and even shrinking as our other platforms like Discord are growing.

Take a look at how forum giants like these relating to forum administration are now a shadow of their former selves.

https://web.archive.org/web/20131120205810/https://www.digitalpoint.com/

https://web.archive.org/web/20150314233802/https://theadminzone.com/

Also note that 90% of the guests labeled in xenforo are from uncategorized bots. I added some additional crawler user-agents in our xenforo 1 installation and the number of guests dropped dramatically.

Facebook Groups > Xenforo Forums

Groups rarely have good ranking in search engines so why are they superior? Reason is simple, general facebook traffic. If it wasn't for that Facebook traffic and peoples need to have a Facebook Account, they'd be dead because they are overall pretty poorly built and are as generic as Reddit subreddits.
Personally, I've never been a fan of FB Groups. I feel it is cluttered and I have only used it for specific use cases (someone's birthday party event etc..).

Now reddit, yes that's been my new go to and a bit of discord. Though, I still am not a fan of discord fully.

But, for all these reasons people are posting about has kept me from starting my XF forum right now. Kinda makes me think if the $$ and time is going to be worth it.

Personally, I've never been a fan of FB Groups. I feel it is cluttered and I have only used it for specific use cases (someone's birthday party event etc..).

Now reddit, yes that's been my new go to and a bit of discord. Though, I still am not a fan of discord fully.

But, for all these reasons people are posting about has kept me from starting my XF forum right now. Kinda makes me think if the $$ and time is going to be worth it.
i agree with you i'm on facebook daily for friends but i don't really post much now and discord can be okay i integrated it with my site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom