XF 2.1 Has anyone made Xenforo look like a social site yet?

drastic

I'd like to have a setup that mimics the look/feel of Twitter/Facebook, so newcomers are familiar with the site and can figure it out.

I think it's possible if you skin/style the threads and give it a general timeline/newsfeed homepage, rather than a listing of forums/threads.

We already have the ability to do a quick post and tons of features for posting - it's just that the forum "look" is so outdated, that so many of the newer users are not figuring it out, or don't have the attention span to do so.

Xenforo software in general is just so damn good that I don't want to try any of the actual social scripts that already exist, and those I did try, like PhpFox, are just absolutely worthless.

It's a big task, but if anyone wants to chat about doing a custom style like this, I'd be listening for sure!

DigNap15

I don't see anything wrong with offering/having options. Why not have an option for different types of layouts? Facebook style. Twitter style. This way people more comfortable with those layouts are more likely to participate.
Yes TAZ has a limted membership
But it is aimed precusly at the topic we are tlaking about
Forum owners looking for solutions to boost their forums.
So it is a good data set.

Tracy Perry

Forum owners looking for solutions to boost their forums.
So it is a good data set.
No.. it's a very limited data set.
Let's see... I wonder how many people own a Toyota Tundra as compared to run a forum?
I wonder how many people own a Corvette as compared to run a forum?
I wonder how many people own a Mustang as compared to run a forum?
I wonder how many people enjoy woodworking as compared to run a forum?
I wonder how many people hunt and sport shoot as compared to run a forum?
I wonder how many people write poetry compared to run a forum?
I wonder how many people are involved in audio/video compared to run a forum.

Get the point yet? Those that run/admin forums are a VERY small subset of society when compared to other "fields of interest".
The problem is... many of those forum admins are chasing yesterdays "big thing"... the hue and cry of "we need to be more like social media" while said social media is dying on the vine (in the sense of the type they refer) is rather ironic.
And you don't see the users of those forums begging and screaming for it to be "more social media like" (or at least none on any of the fairly active forums I participate in)... there are people that think that the "cure-all" to the disease of little activity/membership is to mimic has-beens instead of playing to the strengths of what is current.

I go to a site that has every piece of flotsam post that they have made on their site streaming as their landing page... I'll keep on going by.

This commercial (and it's associated meme) still holds truth today.

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 3.41.36 PM.png

Without content of any quality... where's the beef? Nobody wants table scraps.
If you just "have" to have social media like interface, you can always install Mastodon and get your very own Twitter wanna-be.

Last edited:

Sal Collaziano

No.. it's a very limited data set.
Let's see... I wonder how many people own a Toyota Tundra as compared to run a forum?
I wonder how many people own a Corvette as compared to run a forum?
I wonder how many people own a Mustang as compared to run a forum?
I wonder how many people enjoy woodworking as compared to run a forum?
I wonder how many people hunt and sport shoot as compared to run a forum?
I wonder how many people write poetry compared to run a forum?
I wonder how many people are involved in audio/video compared to run a forum.

Get the point yet? Those that run/admin forums are a VERY small subset of society when compared to other "fields of interest".
The problem is... many of those forum admins are chasing yesterdays "big thing"... the hue and cry of "we need to be more like social media" while said social media is dying on the vine (in the sense of the type they refer) is rather ironic.
And you don't see the users of those forums begging and screaming for it to be "more social media like" (or at least none on any of the fairly active forums I participate in)... there are people that think that the "cure-all" to the disease of little activity/membership is to mimic has-beens instead of playing to the strengths of what is current.

I go to a site that has every piece of flotsam post that they have made on their site streaming as their landing page... I'll keep on going by.

This commercial (and it's associated meme) still holds truth today.

View attachment 272940

Without content of any quality... where's the beef? Nobody wants table scraps.
If you just "have" to have social media like interface, you can always install Mastodon and get your very own Twitter wanna-be.
The beef needs to be easy to find. For today's impatient people, two clicks is too much. Forget easy to "find". FINDing is too much. The beef needs to be right up front and center where you see it without having to look for it. It's just there in front of you as you scroll. And not just subject titles. That's hardly beef.

Tracy Perry

It's just there in front of you as you scroll. And not just subject titles. That's hardly beef.
Your "beef" is my bologna... that's my point. RARELY have I come across any "social media" site that makes discovery of the "beef" easy. Not even FB does that well in their groups.

It's MUCH easier to "find the beef" when you have topical areas.... when you have something that it all goes into a central container you simply have "tossed salad".
Currently there is already the ability to do what you reference.... custom widgets with a landing page utilizing that widget.

Sal Collaziano

Your "beef" is my bologna... that's my point. RARELY have I come across any "social media" site that makes discovery of the "beef" easy. Not even FB does that well in their groups.

It's MUCH easier to "find the beef" when you have topical areas.... when you have something that it all goes into a central container you simply have "tossed salad".
Currently there is already the ability to do what you reference.... custom widgets with a landing page utilizing that widget.
My vision in all of this keeps the forum layout and search available exactly how it currently is - for ease of use for those of us who prefer it this way. However, it simply adds the ability to give those who want the ease of just SEEING what they need without having to look for it - what they need. So there's no sacrificing for anyone. Anyone. If the admin chooses for the layout to be like Facebook or Twitter on initial visit - and the "forum experience" to be behind a tab - so be it. "FORUMS". No big deal. Just a click. REAL easy. Vise versa as well. It makes everybody happy.

I can certainly live without it. I'm developing exactly what I need for my audience outside of XenForo. So I will have XenForo for my forum lovers, and the Facebook/Twitter layout for my, well, Facebook/Twitter lovers. When all is said and done, within a couple of months, I will have exactly what I need. I'm participating in this discussion because I think it would be nice for other admins to have this as well - even if they don't want to take the time and money to develop it like I am.

Mendalla

My vision in all of this keeps the forum layout and search available exactly how it currently is - for ease of use for those of us who prefer it this way. However, it simply adds the ability to give those who want the ease of just SEEING what they need without having to look for it - what they need. So there's no sacrificing for anyone. Anyone. If the admin chooses for the layout to be like Facebook or Twitter on initial visit - and the "forum experience" to be behind a tab - so be it. "FORUMS". No big deal. Just a click. REAL easy. Vise versa as well. It makes everybody happy.
Isn't this kind of what Audentio was shooting for with Feeds and AC.UI? A single pane view that the user can filter to find what they are interested in, but you can still go to the underlying forum list? I experimented with that briefly but decided it wasn't for us, esp. with the changes at Themehouse.

Sal Collaziano

Isn't this kind of what Audentio was shooting for with Feeds and AC.UI? A single pane view that the user can filter to find what they are interested in, but you can still go to the underlying forum list? I experimented with that briefly but decided it wasn't for us, esp. with the changes at Themehouse.
Not sure. I remember looking at that stuff and assumed it might grow to be what I need in time.