Hard delete question

Akuta

I have a forum of a very few small amount of select people (soft cap of about ~40). They're all put into the Moderator group when accepted. I have this group set so nothing can be hard deleted, but I noticed it doesn't let me (as an admin) hard delete either even though I'm not in that group.

So how exactly can I allow myself hard deletions of anything but not anyone in the moderator group? Is that impossible?

You need to go to Admin CP > Users > User Group Permissions > Your User Group

And give your user group the Hard-delete post by anyone permission.

Are you in the moderator group? Have you set moderator to hard delete never? If so, use inherit not set instead.

Edit:
Never overrides other permission sets, Not set makes it so you can override it with another group.

I'm only in the Adminstrator group, nothing else. Are you forced into Moderator permissions anyways? That's the only thing that could make any sense about this.

I can still do everything Moderator's can do (aside from not having the Queues) but I still can only soft delete, so I guess Administrator inherits everything from Moderator, except with ACP access...?

This special group thing is a real pain in the ass and a usability issue, despite how f'ing amazing XenForo is.

For some stuff xF requires you to be a moderator to do. Go to Users - Moderators - Create New Moderator

Like I said in the beginning, everyone is a moderator from the get go -- I add them all to this "special" group. If that group is made to not be able to hard delete anything, it seems as though nothing else can either. Can someone clarify?

I haven't tested this, but in my mind there's no way moderator permissions would prevent you doing something as an admin.

Is it only you that needs the hard delete permission?

Try explicitly setting it for your user account (rather than your Group).

Admin CP > Users > User Permissions

First thing to check is to make sure you don't already have custom permissions (these would probably override your group permissions and could be one explanation for why it isn't working if you personally have Hard Delete set to off).

If you don't have any custom permissions at all, then type your name in the box in the top right and click Set Permissions.

Now explicitly give yourself the Hard Delete (allow) permission and try again.

Like I said in the beginning, everyone is a moderator from the get go -- I add them all to this "special" group. If that group is made to not be able to hard delete anything, it seems as though nothing else can either. Can someone clarify?
Do you add them as a moderator, or in the moderator group? Those two things are different. If the first, go to the moderator page, check your account, there is a separate permission there for hard delete. If that isn't the case, double check your group permissions, then check your node permissions, again, the Never permission overrides any other permission.

Thank you for spending your time helping me guys.

Indeed, my single user User Group was set to "Moderating". I never found it because I kept constantly going to 'User Permissions' but the box to get to that option there is very small on the right side, and the main link goes to your general permissions. I figured since that was all on allow, and I was only in the "special group" Administrator and not Moderator, that there couldn't be anything else.

This is a huge usability issue. It must be fixed. XenForo is too good to have this. I'm a developer so I don't struggle with simple apps too much, and I find everything in XF extremely user-friendly usually, but this very small, but crucial piece, is... bad. The functionality may be wonderful, but if it's not obvious no one will know.

The only thing that needs improvement is the clarification between the difference of usergroups and staff. I think the help pages should be updated to reflect that, and the need for some info regards what permissions are limited to moderators and what can be controlled via user groups. IMO, the moderator permissions should go away from user groups all together, then allow to create moderator roles in the moderator menu.

Top Bottom